Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Any suggestions on my class layout/structure? Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Talking about my 8-12 year olds as well as my teens/adults classes for this one. Nobody here has let me down yet so I’m open to anything you’d have to say!

Since I’m working for a franchise, I’m very limited on what I can teach. We advertise karate for kids (it’s not what we would consider karate, but it’s fun), and kickboxing+Krav Maga for the older kids, teens and adults. At corporate training, we were shown an example:
- warmup (10 minutes)
- curriculum part 1 (15 minutes)
- mat chat (quick life advice for kids/water break for adults)
- curriculum part 2 (15 minutes)
- announcements, ending creed, etc (5 minutes)

As for curriculum, what I’m shown is very broad, although I’m a little worried about getting in trouble so I’m not going to share that. My coworker and I are now under the impression that we have the freedom to run classes however we please, as long as we stick to some basic (broad) guidelines. I’ll try to layout what we’ve been doing below. This was put together by me, based on the “testing sheet” that I found.

Warmup:
- dynamic stretching
- animal type movements up/down the floor
- Running/jumping/calisthenics
Kicking:
- front kick, crescent kicks, side kicks, round kicks (these are performed up and down the floor, in a similar way that kihon would be practiced in karate, but the focus is on kicking).
- one kick to focus on, we’ll use the round kick for an example. Either on the heavy bag, shield or thai pads. Regular round kicks, switch kicks, doubles/triples, etc… either way, I want them used to kicking something.
Kickboxing:
- 1-3 different combos, aiming to focus on the “kick of the day” so they can learn different ways to use the technique while also practicing their boxing, parry’s, cover blocks, etc.
Krav Maga:
- general run through of the Combatives, such as elbows, palm strikes, hammer fists, etc
- 1-3 different techniques, practiced casually at first
- final drill, using the techniques and Combatives under “pressure” and at a faster pace. I basically want the students to experience performing these techniques while they’re sweating and breathing hard with the goal of escaping the situation/attacker.
Example:
Eyes closed until a partner grabs your wrist and you perform a defense against that, following up with Combatives on a pad that they’re holding in the other hand. Immediately sprint across the room to a punching bag, performing a quick but high intensity kickboxing type combo, then sprinting back so your partner can go - each student will typically go multiple rounds. I may or may not throw in some type of calisthenics or plyometrics in the mix, depending on the students in class.

Finally, I do a brief cooldown stretch by taking them through 1 round of lunging Sun salutations from yoga, pausing in each position and focusing on deep breathing. Announcements, then we bow out. Classes are supposed to be 45 minutes, so one day there’s a focus on kickboxing, the other day is focused on Krav.

I do a demonstration before I have the students do anything. I like them to see it slow, then fast, and then intense. Hopefully, I’m giving them something to strive for by doing this.

Any thoughts? Anything I should make sure I’m doing? Humbly, I believe I’m a good teacher and I’ve had a lot of positive feedback, although I know I can be better so I’m always looking to improve. Any questions/comments/suggestions are very welcome!

Thank you!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've got a good plan going here, based off what you've said you're kind of limited to. As for the warmup, you mention the "animal movements" up and down the floor. I think that can be ok, but I think also doing a more MA specific warmup, perhaps more like some upper body/hand technique basics and stance work would be good.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to change things up as well. You can stick with your basic format, but find new ways of teaching the techniques. For example, our CI has a general format that he sticks with, but he will rotate specifics in on a 3 month basis or so. For example one week he may take a 15 minute time slot to do takedowns/throws that are hidden in our 2-person drills. Another week he may do a kick marathon. Another week he may teach self- defense techniques, and so forth. It keeps the classes interesting and exposes you to a deeper understanding of the material.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bushido man! I’m definitely going to include some upper body techniques and foot work stuff with the warmup. I appreciate you point that out, big time. My Sensei would lose his head lol.

And thanks for the input, aurik! To be honest, other than the Krav Maga portion of class, I’m not entirely sure that I’m allowed to venture too far off onto something like takedowns/throws. Given my background, I think I could make that very enjoyable for my students (my Sensei was huge on including judo throws with our karate techniques). I may have to stick to what I’m able to teach within the Krav Maga curriculum. I love that idea though, I’ll reach out to another school and get their thoughts.

Thank you!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what everyone has said. Your class structure is right on. A tweak here and a tweak there is always a constant requirement to keep ever student on their toes, although quite consistent.

Teaching is the fine act of fine tuning...always, and never being satisfied. Having more than one curriculum stuffed in the top desk drawer is a time saver when other options present themselves unexpectedly.

One last thing...if you're NOT the CI, as I understand what a CI is, and you teach as part of the faculty of a school, whether it be MA or not, the powers that be, aka Administrators, might want to approve your curriculum at least once per year.

Never forget your top desk drawer.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help! Keep up the great posts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: