Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mr. Doub.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's different styles of Karate, if you're thinking of taking it up, you have to remember to persevere pas the difficult first steps. A good instructor is important and my instructor made it a breese...

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ts757.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Chennpug
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took several years of Isshinryu in high school, and I loved it. Oh sure, it was hard work, but I'm short, small, and a girl, and having the ability (even if I wouldn't do it anywhere but the dojo) to throw big guys to the ground really puts a swing into your step.

Maybe a different type of karate (or even judo) would be better for my body type, but it's also a great way to work out frustrations (if you have access to a punching bag). I'm thinking of taking it up again, but I'd like to try a different style. Has anyone tried switching styles? Is it terribly difficult?

jer
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done Chito-Ryu karate for almost 10 years now, I got my first degree when I was 16 (in our style we're only allowed to get junior-black until we're 16.. at which time we can get our full black). Now I'm polishing up on everything and I'm planning on going for my 2nd degree before I leave for university.

As for changing styles, I've never done it myself, but there are some people in the club who have. It really depends on what style you've done before, and which you want to switch to. Many styles have the same, or share similar stances and movements.. even katas -- try counting how many karate styles have Bassai, there are a TON

KUGB_Chris1985
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Shotokan Karate and i'm a member of the KUGB (Karate Union of Great Britain). I've been doing it for about 6 years and it's the only style I've tried. I know a few people who have changed to Shotokan and they say that most of the katas are the same. I'm going for my 2nd Dan next week (10th June) and then i have to wait till i'm 21 to grade for my 3rd Dan.
Wish me luck.
Oss

Chris Pullan

P.S if you have any questions about the KUGB, please e-mail me and i'll do what i can to help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karate,japanese, the way of the empty hand.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome rushman.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello cris of kugb; good luck on your testing for your new blackbelt. remember that blackbelt status is the begining of true learning in the martial arts.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Blood Eagle
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it really is a long road!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: