Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kkennedy219
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Anybody watch Dateline? Reply with quote

Did anyone happen to see Dateline the other night, where this guy named Wild Bill was talking about different kinds of self-defense strategies? He did all these test situations where he would pretend to be a stranger knocking at the door or whatever just to see how people would react and how many of us know how to use our brains and keep safe.

The one test he did that was totally disturbing to me was where he was in a crowded bar full of drunken college age or 20-somethings. He went up to 2 guys and pointed out a very attractive woman to them and told them he was going to put a roofie in her drink so that he could have sex with her. And the 2 young guys at the bar were like "Go for it, dude! I've always wanted to try that!" and they thought it was totally awesome that someone would do that to another person. (Yes, believe it or not, women are actually people! Imagine!)

So, being a student of martial arts and knowing how respect is a huge part of it all, I would tend to think that other martial arts practitioners would find these guys just as vile as I did. Not knowing what goes on in other people's heads, though, I could be wrong. Do we all really hold ourselves to a higher moral standard, or are there just as many drunken dirtbags among us as there are in the rest of society?

Thoughts?

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say alot of martial artists think they are of higher moral standard etc just because they train, but most dont actually do anything within their lives to reflect it.

I dont think what you mentioned has alot to do with martial arts though, rather any genuine person would see a problem and do something about the bar thing you mentioned.

Clash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not only martial artist but all "people" should see that as vile.

Me personally I really try to hold my self to a higher standard because of my personal beliefs. I'm not religious but my life style and my way of thinking reflect my actions. As a budding/new martial artist, a "punk rocker", a "anarchist" (lets not get in to any political debates on this thread ), and most importantly as a human begin.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I did, it sounds interesting. Personally, I think most people are shocked and offended by this behavior, but they would be afraid to get involved. Just because you study martial arts, doesn't automatically make you immune to fear or bad motives. There's good and bad in everything.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of weird, freaky stuff that goes on in the world. Many people may not like to see this, and the reason is because it is a shot of reality that no one wants a part of. You have to accept that these kinds of things go on out there, and be willing to defend against such things, even if the odds that they will happen to you are slim to none.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Moral standars and MA are not the same things.... Common sense (for many) says that traditional martial artist share higher standards than boxers , wrestlers or people in general... But that is not true. Not all martial artists are sensei Mishagi from karate kid . We also have some Kobra kay in this world...
As lord ariel said , we all are persons.Going 3 times a week to a dojo dont make a guy to be in control of all his evil.
But MA or sports can drive you to a healthy life , and be a grow up person. That is true.
I am not a monk , but I am a religius christian. And I apply what I beleive to my MA training and life.

KNOCKuOUT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kenpo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross wrote:
Id say alot of martial artists think they are of higher moral standard etc just because they train, but most dont actually do anything within their lives to reflect it.

I dont think what you mentioned has alot to do with martial arts though, rather any genuine person would see a problem and do something about the bar thing you mentioned.

I couldn't have said it better.

Existence_is _suffering
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: I have experience in Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing makes me feel sicker/angrier... Hmm, as for your question I agree with cross and Rainbow_Warrior...

mmljpp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does make me sick but not because martial due to my personal relationship with God and some martial artist are creeps

TraditionalDan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do, RBSD.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of martial arts or religion, there are good people, and bad people.
We can use martial arts (similar to religion) to better ourselves, physically and mentally.

But drugging someone like that without thier consent is just plain wrong, let alone quite sad and pathetic.
Anyone whos does such a thing is of very weak character, and by someone who is too weak to try to get what they want legitimately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: