Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BeefcaketheBarber
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: anyone familiar with this Shorin Ryu home study program? Reply with quote

when typing on search “karate home study”, This and another programs results come up, but I am more interested in this specific program

Kobukan Shorin Ryu - teaches Matsumura Shorin Ryu. This program also offers the option to test for Rank via virtual or in person as it appears they have official physical dojo’s nationally and internationally.

anyone have experience or feedback they can share about the program?

Last edited by BeefcaketheBarber on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I searched that I got different results. Could you post some links so that we can have a better look?

That said, in general, martial arts flourishes in person because it's helpful to have friends to practice with. I'm a little wary of the set up you describe as it screams "cash grab" to me, but I could be wrong.

At home karate is possible, in my opinion, it just takes a lot more work. There is no one there to correct things in a fast manner so if you're unfamiliar with the art (or just MA in general) you can develop some bad habits that will be difficult to break. I would be a fan of programs that are relatively close by, so that you can take a trip there every other month to get some in person corrections. I would also want to be a program in which there was some sort of private forum in which you could post videos of you doing techniques to get feedback that way.

But, as I say above, some links would help so that we can take a look at what they have going on.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't happen to be cranekarate.com, would it?

BeefcaketheBarber
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats the one I believe 👍🏼

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without going in to too much detail, I've met a number of people associated with that website (I was a 5th kyu when the Texas rep started training with my dojo, which is not affiliated with this website) and I do not feel that it is a good program to pursue. Others might have a different opinion, and if they do I would love to hear their experience with it. It could be great and personal experience is just getting in the way.

What I can say is that they're MSSR, which is what I am a Shodan in, and in their videos that I could find their katas seem different from what I learned so the main instructor must be from a different branch. Knowing what I know of this particular system, the videos didn't give me a lot of confidence. I am also a little suspicious that their VP is a 7th dan after 25 years of training. It could be legit, but to me that seems like a very short time to achieve such a high rank. Finally, I couldn't find many testimonials that were outside the organization itself. When I'm deciding on programs, one of the things that I like to see is credible secondary reviews to help me get an idea of what to expect and I can't find that here.

BeefcaketheBarber
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback

I have my personal reasons for home study rather than physical gym at the time being. I have experience in a few martial arts so I have confidence that I can adapt to the material provided through this virtual programs.

I posted similar question about other programs I came across in the Korean arts section.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get it, and to your point, I actually really like virtual programs. It is my very firm belief that MA schools should use the pandemic as a means to start doing virtual classes. I would love to see Zoom class options, videos, online cirricula, the whole 9 yards. I've heard good things about GMAU certified courses, so I would definitely start there.

BeefcaketheBarber
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at GMAU for their TKD program and their instructors are Kukkikwon cert.

With the ranking - I know there is a big debate of distance learning vs in person. I personally dont have a problem accepting rank for my abilities or achievements in the art I decide to train. GMAUs training is excellent, I learn alot by their detailed vids.

Getting back to the Shorin Ryu- The Shorin Ryu program has great reviews on amazon (all 5 stars). People genuinely enjoy the program and get something out of it from whats posted

I like this one

“I studied karate several years ago, but had to give it up do to the demands of job, family, etc. I decided a few years ago to try to find a way to get back into it. Luckily, there are now several self study martial arts programs available. After looking at several and even trying another program, I contacted Renshi Vellucci about this program and gave it a try. I found the program was very well organized, and the DVD's were very well balanced between simplicity and completeness. (I've seen others that try to explain so many theories and applications that they become confusing and impractical, and others that simply teach you how to run through some kata, which is only helpful if you have another way to learn the applications.) Vellucci was also helpful with my training, and gave extremely thorough feedback. I recently earned my black belt after about two and a half years of training and hard work (could take more or less time for you, depending on whether you've had any previous martial arts experience, and how often you train). I've recently started attending (occasionally, schedule permitting) a local karate class with my two boys, and I can tell you that my skill and knowledge of karate, although a different style, is certainly at least comparable to the first degree black belts in the class, so I feel Vellucci's program has delivered exactly what I had hoped for. If you are considering this program, I have a few points of advice:
1) You will get from the program what you put into the program. This is a great way to learn karate on a flexible schedule, but if you treat it as a "short cut" then you're cheating yourself.
2) You don't need a partner for most of the day to day training, especially at first as you learn the basic techniques, but to really get the feel for the advanced applications you should find a training partner, even if he/she is not a martial arts student. Even at the advanced levels though, you can gain a lot by practicing alone to prepare well for occasional training sessions with a partner. (Many traditional students should do more of this, in fact.)
3) This course will not prepare you for a career in the UFC - it is not meant to. It will give you an excellent base of knowledge and skill on which you can continue building. I continue to practice all the material here regularly, and supplement this with occasional attendance at another school, but there are many ways you can build on the foundation you will gain with this program. Don't expect "black belt" to be a magical achievement that will turn you instantly into Jet Li, and you won't be disappointed.
4) If you start the program (or any self study martial arts) I highly recommend you get at least a heavy bag (free standing WaveMaster is a great option) and 3 or 4 full length mirrors you can lean against the wall (you can buy them for only a few dollars each at a local store, then easily store them in a closet when not in use.)

Good luck and enjoy the program!”

Last edited by BeefcaketheBarber on Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:31 pm; edited 5 times in total

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a lot of experience with accreditation and schools that partner with one another, but I'd have to imagine that it would vary with each school, even among the schools within the accredited network.

Like you, though, I don't have an issue testing remotely. As a personal preference, I like to do so in person, but if virtual is what I have then I'm just as happy. MA is MA, and I'm happy to continue learning one way or the other.

Dboxobi
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawan/Japanese Karate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken this course, and would without a doubt recommend it to anyone interested in learning Karate fundamentals. In fact, this course is most likely the pioneer of martial arts (Karate to be specific) virtual learning. The videos have the performer demonstrating at different angles and at regular to slow speed, and narrating all the movements and its purposes.

It is Shorin Ryu and the lineage is more than legit. It might look different to some as there are different MSSR styles, but I was actually more impressed with this style after observing a few other Shorin dojos in person around my local area. The program has all necessary elements ( Kihon, Kata and their bunkai, self defense techniques/application)
Its alot of material, and, is as equally filled in syllabus as a regular dojo.

I will reiterate on the above post, when the reviewer mentions that the course will not get you ready to become a high level MMA talent, rather it will give a good foundation to build upon. You absolutely get what you invest into it.

The instructor is very responsive and is HIGHLY detailed on his feedback. You also have the option as a student to train in person at one of their dojos, or live through online. I would say most online MA programs today (whether it be Gracie Univ, Machida etc) are following the same format of this course, given this course has probably been out since the early 90s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: