Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BeefcaketheBarber
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience with distant learning TKD courses? Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I am looking at remote home study courses for TKD and wanted to ask for some feedback or opinions regarding these programs that appeared in the search.

1.GMAU (global martial arts University)

2.Cyber Tae kwon do

Both look like solid programs and are run strict just has a physical dojang, ran can also be earned

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into these any further? If so, what has your experience been so far?

BeefcaketheBarber
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually signed up with GMAU and so far it has been excellent!! I took some TKD when I was younger and I can attest that I get much more out of this style of learning than I did when I attended a in person. GMAU is run like a online class and the instructors are very responsive, the page navigation is on par with your typical online college classes. The curriculum is well organized and you definitely have to put in your work to excel as they check you on your progress. I have yet to submit a test, but there is a example on YT of a student receiving feedback from the instructor about the test the student submitted, the instructors feedback was very thorough as if you were getting critiqued in person. I am genuinely happy with the program and can see this as way to connect students from all around. Rank is earned and accredited through their own organization but I can care less if its Kukkikwon or not as there are certain practices of the Kukkikwon I found that I don't agree with (thats just my personal opinion)

Im confident Cyber TKD is just as good, Its just that I ended up going through GMAU initially. I might check out Cyber TKD after I complete my GMAU course if I choose to continue training TKD in the future.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeefcaketheBarber wrote:
I actually signed up with GMAU and so far it has been excellent!! I took some TKD when I was younger and I can attest that I get much more out of this style of learning than I did when I attended a in person. GMAU is run like a online class and the instructors are very responsive, the page navigation is on par with your typical online college classes. The curriculum is well organized and you definitely have to put in your work to excel as they check you on your progress. I have yet to submit a test, but there is a example on YT of a student receiving feedback from the instructor about the test the student submitted, the instructors feedback was very thorough as if you were getting critiqued in person. I am genuinely happy with the program and can see this as way to connect students from all around. Rank is earned and accredited through their own organization but I can care less if its Kukkikwon or not as there are certain practices of the Kukkikwon I found that I don't agree with (thats just my personal opinion)

Im confident Cyber TKD is just as good, Its just that I ended up going through GMAU initially. I might check out Cyber TKD after I complete my GMAU course if I choose to continue training TKD in the future.

Sounds like an interesting model. How do you get feedback on a day to day basis? (rather than just at testing).

We've had to do around 18 months of online teaching due to the pandemic and as a teacher I've found it really difficult to correct students only verbally and not offer physical correction.

How does the program manage things like sparring, breaking or hosin sul (self defence)?

BeefcaketheBarber
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works like a typical college online class as you would email or send a message to the instructor, responses are emailed back the next day or same day depending in what part of the week you are in. What makes it easy is the curriculum is already organized and pre recorded, so as a student, you have the privilege of viewing the individual lessons pertaining to your belt as many times as you would like or need. There are certain assignments and progress trackers. The instructor pays attention to detail from based on the example on YT test vid I have seen. They often have live classes which you can join in as a student, there is a side chat on the side where u can ask questions or make comments in real time so you can get immediate answers (basically streaming).

a student can not move forward to the next belt or lesson untill the required training time, assignments, testing is completed. Im not at the sparring part yet, but its encouraged to get training partners or bags etc..
I think the main goal is to get the core basics down. They do teach self defense techniques etc. Id say check out some of YT vids they have for free to get a glimpse of the program.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeefcaketheBarber wrote:

a student can not move forward to the next belt or lesson untill the required training time, assignments, testing is completed. Im not at the sparring part yet, but its encouraged to get training partners or bags etc..
I think the main goal is to get the core basics down. They do teach self defense techniques etc. Id say check out some of YT vids they have for free to get a glimpse of the program.

I like the encouragement to seek a partner. I think Martial Arts is at its best when you have someone to talk about it with face-to-face, and provide resistance against techniques. Sounds like a solid system for learning. Keep us updated, I'm interested to see how the program plays out in the long term.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you for the update. It does sound interesting. Like Danielle, I share concerns about not being able to instruct in person, and losing that interaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: