Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KerouacKev
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: anyone know any ways to stop feeling intimidated? Reply with quote

This might sound weird but i get really anxious when i see anyone coming towards me in the street at night. i guess i'm scared of being attacked which is one of the main reasons i got into MA, yet it hasn't seemed to have changed anything. i think i lack self confidence, does anyone have any tips or stories about developing self estem?

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(.... this is probably Strategy forum post)
I don't believe it is an intimidation, self confidence or self estemm issue .... it is your issue with "fear" ... plain and simple.

Fear is very good at pointing out dangerous situations ... being on the street late at night is certainly one of them (unfortunately!) If there is a danger of being hurt, then it is normal for you to be afraid. Your fear will help you take steps to avoid being hurt. It's been said that assertiveness will prevent an attack and aggressiveness will provoke one.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I get that "Ohhh my gosh is something gonna happen" feeling, here's what I do:

Plan! It may sound silly, but start thinking "what would I do if he had a knife", and "if he took a swing at me right now, let's see...I'd block and then counter" etc. etc. Chances are, the techniques you think of aren't going to be the ones you use in an actual fight. You probably won't even fight, period. However, planning what to do will make you more confident, and also puts you into your self-defense mindset. If you know there is a possibility of something happening, that's when you're best prepared, because your agressor won't have the element of surprise. You'll probably never get over the fear of getting into a fight; most people never do. The important thing to learn is how to function even while you're afraid. Adrenaline stress can work against you in the worst way when it comes to defending yourself. At times, it can even cause you to completely forget your training.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There area a couple things I can think of that you are referring to. Some you don't want to go away.

If I'm guessing right, your concerned about that 'freeze up" feeling that can kick in. I recommend moving. An easy oneis to stomp your feet (the way you would if you were sanding somewhere and really cold and moving to try to warm up, or like jogging in place without getting your knees aprticularly up).

Hopefully, you know the one I'm talking about

Give that a shot and see if it doesn't help you feel active rather than reactive.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing you can do about it, unless you put yourself in that situation more and more.

Not really advisable though.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol helpful advice their kensai, KerouacKev
how old are you? I only ask because when I was younger I used to be much more frighten about stuff like that, but now that I am bigger it is not really an issue that much anymore. I often have a little bit of arrogence in my head now a days. I think when I see someone, " I could probably take them, they don't look so tough". I do say or do anything aloud but it relieves fear and nothing ever happens anyways. So the answer to your problem Think like an arrogant person but don't act upon those thoughts

I AM CANADIAN

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also "combative mindset" drilling you can do. You've find that most things that make you afraid now will make you angry then. It's another good option, but one I recommend you not learn from a post on a BBS

EnergyBoxer
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Dan Zan Ryu/ Brazilian Jujitsu, Kali, Chinese Hawaiian Kempo,Tai Chi, F.M.A. ,.........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing but time and training , practice in "real time', for your fear to be overcome you must first have complete faith in your skill and ability.

KerouacKev
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for your help guys, i guess it seems like something i'll just have to live with! Mind you, JerryLove's link seems pretty interesting! i just wish i looked more like this little fella then no one would mess with me

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
There is nothing you can do about it, unless you put yourself in that situation more and more.

Not really advisable though.

lol gotta agree there, good advice but not.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: