Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was on Wed. night. It was a few hours long and coverd a lot fo Martial Arts it was very good.

However I have never saw anything as amazing and crazy and that Combat Ki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw that too. Very interesting programme, especiall the Combat Ki. Some very tough training there, what did you think about their claims and training of using "chi" to block such damage and pain from heavy blows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that if you trick your mind into thinking that there is Chi or use your mind to think about something else during that time anything is possible.

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good program. It was like a small martial art marathon.

There has been a big controvercy with Rod Sacharnoski in the past. There have been alot of posts regarding him, his affiliations and his organization on E-Budo.

Take care

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the mind can conceive, it can do.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry I dont put a lot of stock in the combat ki stuff.

First of all the body is not made to take shots like they were taking. I personally think anyone I kick in the chest while on their knees Ill kill..... Not to say Im a better Martial Artist but when my students hold a kicking shild for me I move them 2 or 3 feet backwards and off the ground.

Besides everyone it showed had to take a few seconds to get ready. Im sorry when attacked you don't got a few seconds.

I thought the traing was dangerous. I spent 30mins of my TR night class explaining what Iron body was and how the things they saw on TV were not IMO real. Much less a good idea. I think Discovery used that to showcase Martial Arts.

Most who are not in martial arts hold it on a high platform. I know this by comments like hes a black belt. Dont fight a blakc belt their bad. You hear it all the time. I think Discovery used that show to make more of those people.

I have done some Iron Body and do practice Ki or Chi ever which term you prefer but I teach it as more of controling your adriolin and not force field that protects you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw part of the Japanese martial arts portion of the program and almost all of the Chinese martial arts portion. Man am I in love with wushu

I know I missed a bunch before I actually started watching midway. Was there a chapter that covered martial arts besides those from Japan or China?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KENSHI
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to bad I didn't saw it

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Ki or Chi or whatever you call it... my understanding is that this is really just breath control, muscle control and other control over natural body functions (perhaps adrenalin as G95 points out).
My (Japanese) Karate teacher makes the point that everything in Karate is scientific and based on physics and anatomy, not "tricks".
It's my experience that only westerners believe it is some sort of magical "force" they can tap to block blows and cast "chi energy balls" and stuff.
Indeed, isn't this sort of new age thought considered a bit way out and dangerous when it makes it's way back to Asia. (eg Falung Gung)
To show how ridiculous it can become, my fundamentalist Christian high school maths teacher believed that ALL oriental martial arts (from yoga on!) were "satanic" and that kiai shouts were actually names of demons, who would appear when called to lend supernatural strength to the artist's punch!
It was almost disappointing to find out this was not true, and that I'd have to rely on my own strength in a fight...

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a pretty good documentary on martial arts, but I gotta say chi or no chi, and as much as I enjoy training, I wouldn't sit there and take an unabated shot to the chest, throat, or groin(Combat Ki portion).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: