Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've always found about the martial arts is that it attracts people who really don't care that much what others look like or how much they weigh when you're all training together. No matter what you weigh or look like, martial arts seem to have this sort of camaraderie that goes with it so try not to be self concious because in reality, no one cares that you're a bit overweight, if anything they'll be rooting for you to lose it and get fitter and will help you do so.

As an aside, I know the weight is something that bothers you but instead, when you start training, don't focus on what the scales say but look at other things like how much fitter you're getting and how much stronger and flexible you are. TBH you might find that the scales don't change a whole lot or as much as you'd want because you'll be putting muscle on too. What really motivates me is looking at a picture of what I looked like say 6 months ago and seeing the difference so I really do recommend taking a photo now and then getting it out in a few months time to see how much you've changed even if the scales don't say so. I'm worse than you at the moment, 22 yrs, 5'10", 240 lb and I'll be the first to admit I could do with losing a ton of weight, but when I first started training, I couldn't even finish a warmup without being seriously out of breath, now I can run the warmup, (talking the whole way through!) and not be gasping at the end. The scales haven't changed much but I can run rings around the "normal" weight people and for me this is more important.

Also don't worry about being the unfit one or the uncoordinated one; everyone started out this way. Even the really fit blackbelts who seem like superhumans started out as the unfit white belt who struggled to look like they had control over their own limbs when moving.

germanhalo wrote:
I'm looking at different dojos around where I am and look at reviews to see which ones are best. What kinda sucks is that they show you how much it costs for the introduction, but they almost VERY show how much it costs monthly after that.

What schools are you looking at? I didn't think charging for an induction session was a thing.. In any case, make sure you go to each school and try out a could of the classes. The actual style isn't all that important; more important is the feel of the school, the atmosphere, the sensei's teaching style and whether the school will fit your needs.

germanhalo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darksoul wrote:
The great thing you'll find about good martial arts dojos is the fact that you won't get judged. Even if you're the biggest guy there (and I doubt you would be) you'll be a member of the class like everyone else. If you go regularly and train hard, the pounds will melt off of you.

Remember though, some people are built to be more husky. Some people are built skinny. If you end up staying close to the same body size but notice your stamina and cardio being better, that's just your build and you might be in better shape than you think!

Throw that self-consciousness out and join up! The martial arts are welcoming to everyone

As long as the flab goes away even if it goes to muscle, it's fine with me. I know I'll lose something though, a lot of extra lbs that are sure to go off.

DWx wrote:
One thing I've always found about the martial arts is that it attracts people who really don't care that much what others look like or how much they weigh when you're all training together. No matter what you weigh or look like, martial arts seem to have this sort of camaraderie that goes with it so try not to be self concious because in reality, no one cares that you're a bit overweight, if anything they'll be rooting for you to lose it and get fitter and will help you do so.

As an aside, I know the weight is something that bothers you but instead, when you start training, don't focus on what the scales say but look at other things like how much fitter you're getting and how much stronger and flexible you are. TBH you might find that the scales don't change a whole lot or as much as you'd want because you'll be putting muscle on too. What really motivates me is looking at a picture of what I looked like say 6 months ago and seeing the difference so I really do recommend taking a photo now and then getting it out in a few months time to see how much you've changed even if the scales don't say so. I'm worse than you at the moment, 22 yrs, 5'10", 240 lb and I'll be the first to admit I could do with losing a ton of weight, but when I first started training, I couldn't even finish a warmup without being seriously out of breath, now I can run the warmup, (talking the whole way through!) and not be gasping at the end. The scales haven't changed much but I can run rings around the "normal" weight people and for me this is more important.

Also don't worry about being the unfit one or the uncoordinated one; everyone started out this way. Even the really fit blackbelts who seem like superhumans started out as the unfit white belt who struggled to look like they had control over their own limbs when moving.

What schools are you looking at? I didn't think charging for an induction session was a thing.. In any case, make sure you go to each school and try out a could of the classes. The actual style isn't all that important; more important is the feel of the school, the atmosphere, the sensei's teaching style and whether the school will fit your needs.

Well there are some that charge and some that don't charge. And I meant it NEVER shows how much it costs monthly. Wow, didn't realize I typed the wrong thing out lol. But that is good thinking. I shouldn't rush it and go into a school without actually seeing how they teach and the feel of the atmosphere if I like it. Wasn't really thinking about it that much.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about what others think, especially when it comes to something you want to do for yourself. Just get yourself started, and let things take over from there. If you are truly worried what others think of you, then you are not letting yourself do it for yourself; your doing it for others.

Here's another way to look at it; I've been doing the MAs for 16 some years now, and I am a bit overweight. That doesn't stop me from getting out on the floor and showing the others in class what a short, chubby guy can do.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germanhalo wrote:
I'm looking at different dojos around where I am and look at reviews to see which ones are best. What kinda sucks is that they show you how much it costs for the introduction, but they almost VERY show how much it costs monthly after that.

I hate that, too. Gyms do that, as well. It's frustrating because they don't tell you how much they cost until they get you in there and then they try to pressure you in person and it makes me want to not go at all because I don't feel like going in and having people pressure me to join. I want to make sure it fits into my budget before wasting my time and theirs only to find out I can't afford it and then try to awkwardly back out of of their sales pitch. I've been looking at maybe trying a grappling style to complement my Isshinryu and allow me to train more nights a week since my class only meets twice a week, but a lot of the schools look really expensive and I'm afraid to even go look at them without knowing what kind of financial commitment I'm looking at from them. I don't understand why places do that. It makes me not trust them right off the bat. I think I'll stick with my Boys and Girls Club karate class (which is free) and I may try out the town recreation department's Judo class, which is $40 per six week session. I'll stick to the po' folks' martial arts. Maybe try looking around for programs like that in your area.

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone take Martial Arts when they were out of shape? Reply with quote

[quote="germanhalo"]Hello, I'm new to here but I thought it would be a good place to ask this, considering I am thinking A LOT about taking Karate classes.

I'm 23 years old and 215 lbs and I'm thinking about taking a Martial Arts class. Maybe Karate or Kickboxing or Japanese Shitoryu Karate. But the problem is, I'm out of shape. Now I'm not obese or anything like that, but I am a little overweight. I know that it'll get me in shape and show me how to defend myself if something was to happen, and that's exactly what I want to do.

The thing that's holding me back right now is that I'm just a little self conscious. I don't want to go in there and be the biggest guy in there or something because if that was to happen, it'll just make things worse. It would be great to have some friends here that would go with me, but I moved away from the city that had all my friends so there's no way I can go with anyone that I know. I'm pretty confident in myself when doing my job, or doing my own workout, or doing whatever it is, but if I'm with a group of people and we're doing physical training or anything that requires me to do heavy physical or a lot of running etc with people I don't know or am comfortable around.

So, has anyone been in this predicament? And if so, what did you do to conquer it? Did you just tell yourself, "don't be a lil biotch" and just sign up? Were there other people there that were overweight or older individuals? And if you can give me any more suggestions and just tell me how it went, I'd appreciate it.[/quote]

I am 6'6" and I weigh 360 lbs. Not to mention I have a bad back. I have been wanting to take MA since I was 5 or 6, and I am about to turn 39. I have been doing study at home (which I know is a separate issue, and I welcome opinions); however, I have progressed from 10 gup to 4 gup since August; meanwhile, I also got my general self defense time in training from an agency that granted my rank based on time in training...
I am beginning my Hapkido testing later today, and cannot wait to add this to my repertiore.
In short, as many people have said here, if you feel like you want it, and you want to dedicate yourself to it, then go and get it. Nothing is more expensive than regret...

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, I have lost 15 lbs since August merely through training, and this is having to progress slowly due to an injury.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no limits on fitness or size within martial arts. As long as you consult your Doctor, advising him what you want to do and informing your Instructors of any issues there's no reasons only excuses in the way. OSU

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dobbersky"]There's no limits on fitness or size within martial arts. As long as you consult your Doctor, advising him what you want to do and informing your Instructors of any issues there's no reasons only excuses in the way. OSU[/quote]

Exactly, I have a few issues myself; due to an injury, I cannot kick to the side very high (hip and lo-back issues), but my mechanics are spot-on... My sensei is aware of the issue, and my doctors know that I am taking MA, and they both told me as long as I keep myself from going too far, I am capable. So my doctors watch me, and my sensei accomodates my limits. Communication is the key in any aspect of life... but especially when your body is the catalyst.

rogberg
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Big Guys and Martial Arts Reply with quote

Hey there, I am new to this site too. I ran across this thread and I can relate! I am currently 353lbs I have lost ten pounds in the past 2 weeks because I have joined judo and started eating right! I was kinda skeptical about getting in there myself, but I sat in on a class, decided if I wanted to do it or not, then I talked to the instructor. I asked him if he has ever trained bigger guys and he said absolutly. He was very eager to get me on the mat! Everyone in my dojo is very understanding when it comes to warm ups and I cant hack it yet! I am persistant and excited to do it!

I give you all the kudos in the world for standing up and doing something about it! Get in there, learn your martial art and have fun! If they are not understanding and poke fun or give you looks FIND ANOTHER DOJO!!!

nana
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Guys and Martial Arts Reply with quote

rogberg wrote:
I give you all the kudos in the world for standing up and doing something about it! Get in there, learn your martial art and have fun! If they are not understanding and poke fun or give you looks FIND ANOTHER DOJO!!!

Absolutely this. Just keep up the best you can and keep showing up consistently. Even the skinny beginners struggle at first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: