Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for self defense its important to make every technique as easy as possible.
for loving it to make an art out of everything, asian styles make for self defense ineffective training out of the basically great techniques. so for example from kata you won't learn how to "do self defense". sorry, but thats the truth. therefore it mustn't take long time to make applying techniques effective.

i personally had "just" two dangerous situations so far (except of brutal brawls with taking kicks to the back or squeezed throat as kid long long time before training martial arts).
one was with threatening jerks and i had a young woman by my side, so i stayed calm and it didn't came to a fight, i didn't want to get her evening ruined by that. avoiding to fight, when possible, is also self defense.
the other was that an old man grabbed his wife and hit her with the other hand. while it would have been easy to just throw him or beat him up like he deserved, i didn't want to be the "hero" who bet up and injured an old man so i made a "figure four" wristlock to release his grip from his wife and let her go.

this was after about 6 years of being martial artist, if thats answering your question. but occuring situations then doesn't mean that it wouldn't have worked earlier, we don't test every now and then techniques on people in the street, i gess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: