Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Looking back, children know how to fight, it is in us all, instinctively.

I was bullied quite a bit growing up. I had next to no instinctive abilities when it came to fighting. Looking back, neither did most of the kids I grew up with (including the ones who beat me up... they were just bigger and stronger.)

Aggression may be instinctive, but it's not an ability.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Looking back, children know how to fight, it is in us all, instinctively.

I was bullied quite a bit growing up. I had next to no instinctive abilities when it came to fighting. Looking back, neither did most of the kids I grew up with (including the ones who beat me up... they were just bigger and stronger.)

Aggression may be instinctive, but it's not an ability.

I am inclined to agree with you. While kids all have varying degrees of physical ability AND aggression, humans beings are simply not designed to battle each other. We differ from most of the other carnivores in the sense that the parts of our bodies that we want to use as weapons have to be developed. I think this carries over to our technical knowledge of fighting as well. While simple protective action (duck, cover your face, run away) might be ingrained, I have trouble believing we have any natural instincts in regards to intelligently damaging another human.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:
I have trouble believing we have any natural instincts in regards to intelligently damaging another human.
Then how can bullying be explained away, as bigger children dominating smaller ones?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Trailer_Ape wrote:
I have trouble believing we have any natural instincts in regards to intelligently damaging another human.
Then how can bullying be explained away, as bigger children dominating smaller ones?

When most people who lack any training fight, they tend to flail their limbs. A lot of energy is wasted. Larger, stronger people may still inflict damage, but there is no thought behind it.

Bullies come in all shapes and sizes. One of the "toughest kids" in my high school might be around 5'4" or 5'6" tall. His sheer aggression gave him his edge, and he wasn't afraid to use a well-placed sucker punch. He used one on my brother at a party once, and split my brother's lip open pretty good. My brother was much bigger and stronger than the bully, and was also a well-trained wrestler (second in the state for our high school back in 1999.) Had this been a "fair match" with some rules followed, my brother certainly would have prevailed.

At any rate, a number of traits can be used to explain the hows and whys of bullying. I don't think intelligence is at the top of that list.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is such a thing as an appropriate starting age, then there must also be an inappropriate starting age also; or is age irrelevant in both ends of the spectrum?

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Trailer_Ape wrote:

Pretty much, but not always. Sometimes it is a matter of one having: more aggressive tendencies, more timidity, or just more tendency to force their will on others. However, I do not believe it is ever because of one having a natural ability to fight. Beyond physical ability and aggressiveness, I do not believe there is a natural ability to fight. The actual mechanics of fighting are learned through trial and error (either of the person learning or passed down from someone who has)

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
If there is such a thing as an appropriate starting age, then there must also be an inappropriate starting age also; or is age irrelevant in both ends of the spectrum?

Yes, there is an inappropriate age to start but it is measured on a clock not a calendar. Taking the kid directly to the dojo, from the hospital, is just extreme. They should have a few hours to go see their new home and maybe chug some milk first

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Yes, there is an inappropriate age to start but it is measured on a clock not a calendar. Taking the kid directly to the dojo, from the hospital, is just extreme. They should have a few hours to go see their new home and maybe chug some milk first

I tend to agree with this. An inappropriate starting age is just any age before the appropriate one. After that it is a question of timing. Are you still recovering from an injury or illness? Probably not a good time to start. Just about anytime else? Welcome to the dojo!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

There really isn't a hard and fast rule. It will mostly depend on the child; how well they learn and pick up things, how well they can focus in the class, etc. There are so many variables to consider, its important to provide each new young student with the opportunity to interact in some classes, and then evaluate if they are going to be able to handle the load at that time, or if they need to wait a tad longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: