Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got started in BJJ, but I can only make class once a week if I'm lucky, with sporadic sparring with friends at offtimes at the TKD dojang....and I'm wondering, have any of you read.... (if you have, give me opinions?)

1. The Fighters notebook (I've heard there are good techniques, but I've been told that there are better books for jiu-jitsu)

2. The Master Text from Jiu-jitsu.Net....heard it's great, it was written by Gene Simco, a purple belt.

3. Renzo and Royler's book Theory and Technique? Heard some of the illustrations were hard to follow, even though it was well-written.

4. Any other good books?

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I've read any of those, but one of those books that is a must have for any martial artist, is called "Living the Martial Way" by F.E.Morgan. It details how to set your goals, and how to train and develop yourself mentally through rigorous training. A very interesting and informative read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh, I've got the Gracie's book...

Um, it's for complete noobs.
Some of the techniques are utter crap which have been compiled to make the book, for example tying up the belt, side kick which is shown with very poor form, elbows also shown with poor form.

The theory part I quite like though.. Some of the techniques that I've mentioned I'm not at all impressed with, especially the striking part since these guys can't even throw a punch let alone a side kick. It says he has his hands up high when they're down near his chest, lol...

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: