Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Cross training can cause internal conflicts also.

How so? At one point I was training in TKD, Aikdio, and at out Defensive Tactics Club. I was not internally conflicted.

Quote:
To stand in two boats at the same time can make a person fall in to deep water.

I consider it one boat: Martial Arts.

Quote:
Cross training can also be a sign of not being adequately taught in a style so as to balance out gaps, then to seek out other styles.

I've trained TKD from my middle school years until present. There is no grappling in TKD. None. There is some standing joint manipulation, but it is not grappling. So naturally, to fill this void, I have to cross-train in grappling. Now, does that mean I was not taught TKD adequately, because I have to seek out grappling training?

Quote:
A person that has a drivers license doesn't make them a race car driver.

True. Having a race car makes one a race car driver. Kids around here can start racing dirt track as early as 14. What it takes is time, money, equipment, and experience.

Quote:
When a grappler says honestly "I will eat a few shots before taking the opponent to the ground"

Why eat any shots at all?

Learn how to defend shots, then take the opponent to the ground.

Its not so much that "I will eat a few shots to get a takedown," but more "I know I can eat some shots if I have to when securing a takedown." There's a difference.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Cross training can cause internal conflicts also.

How so? At one point I was training in TKD, Aikdio, and at out Defensive Tactics Club. I was not internally conflicted.

Quote:
To stand in two boats at the same time can make a person fall in to deep water.

I consider it one boat: Martial Arts.

Quote:
Cross training can also be a sign of not being adequately taught in a style so as to balance out gaps, then to seek out other styles.

I've trained TKD from my middle school years until present. There is no grappling in TKD. None. There is some standing joint manipulation, but it is not grappling. So naturally, to fill this void, I have to cross-train in grappling. Now, does that mean I was not taught TKD adequately, because I have to seek out grappling training?

Quote:
A person that has a drivers license doesn't make them a race car driver.

True. Having a race car makes one a race car driver. Kids around here can start racing dirt track as early as 14. What it takes is time, money, equipment, and experience.

Quote:
When a grappler says honestly "I will eat a few shots before taking the opponent to the ground"

Why eat any shots at all?

Learn how to defend shots, then take the opponent to the ground.

Its not so much that "I will eat a few shots to get a takedown," but more "I know I can eat some shots if I have to when securing a takedown." There's a difference.
Why eat what you don't need to?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one said you need to. Knowing you can, though, if need be, is good to know. Knowledge is power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: