Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Art affecting/reflecting personality? Reply with quote

I've heard a few things that indicate that the strategies and tactics of one's martial art of choice have some bleedthrough into one's personality and vice versa.. not sure how true it might be.

I heard this most often written by ex-Wing Chun (and variants thereof) practitioners. These people wrote that their training taught them to respond to threats by attacking down the centerline, and that they eventually found themselves in relationships and conversation responding to perceived threats by attacking the other person 'down the centerline'.

As to myself, I note that I find it very difficult to force myself to resist verbal aggression directly, much in the way that my art goes to great lengths not to oppose or even to contact an opposing force.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts

Just to clarify what you mean by directly does that mean just saying it how it is, as in straight up.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual complaint, as written, is that when they felt threatened, they would retaliate verbally by attacking the "threat" directly and relentlessly, until the other person was cowed into conceding. They found that to be a poor tactic to use against their family and colleagues, and switched to other arts.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think I do, but I've never really thought about it. I tend to be rather bullheaded and stubborn at times (ok, most of the time), and at times I get this way in my sparring, like by not retreating, taking a beating to give one, etc, but I'm not always like that. Nor is that the way everyone spars in TKD; there are counterfighters out there, for instance.

So, I'm not sure. Never really thought about it.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a certain element of this for sure. I know my approach to training has changed signifcantly since starting BJJ. Much more laid back and technique oriented than previously. I also listen to much more Bob Marley, but that's beside the point.

So yeah, I do think it bleeds over into personality if you're deeply invested. But I don't think your casual practicioner will see this. I think you're more likely to experiene it if you are really spending time mentally in the art as well as physically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: