Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading another thread and the question came to my mind do you study the art you really want to or one that is available?

Remember not everyone has access to every art. Some areas have very few schools of any kind.

If you do study and art because it is the one that is available what would you choose to add to it if a new school came to town?

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, good question Sai

Well, 10 months ago as I was started I was a bit clueless to the arts. I made the mistake of just going into one school and signing up - although the school is great so I consider myself lucky! Basically, I did not check out all of the available arts and schools in the area which is what I suppose I should have done.

I do Taekwondo, and yes if a Mauy Thai school came to town I would probably want to start training in that either instead or additionally... but, as I said before, I'm happy where I am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ThaiBoxeo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined a school just because it was close to me, it is not a street or reality effective karate schoo. there is a muay thai school near by but my dad is good friends with the instructor at the karate school so I can't enter the muay thai school.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started martial arts when i was 13 in taekwondo mainly because it was all that was available to me and a friend of mine at the time was doing it.......i then got tierd of it and i took off to do what i really wanted to do.....kickboxing and now i do jiu jitsu along side with kickboxing

i consider myself quite lucky to be doing the art i wanna do....

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice of schools was also based on transportation. My first sensei was a Matsubayashi shor-in ryu sensei. My second sensei was part of a line of Hayashi Hai shi-to ryu and a bit of a corrupted line. We then became mainstream shotokan and from time to time are still making adjustments to what we do to conform more to the general shotokan standard.

If I could start something new and convenient I think I would like to reexplore ba gua.

You see I too have a transportation problem.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: