Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karatedo Kyokai

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Ashihara Karate Reply with quote

Hi all, any Ashihara Karate practitioners here?

I had a look at YouTube on their kata and fighting element. I see that they apply their own kata but it seems to be quite effective. It seems to be a practical fighting Karate.

Tonight, just as an introductory I am going to an Ashihara Karate dojo to participate in a free class to see how it goes. I'm quite excited.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know how it goes. I'm a big fan of Ashihara and his approach. From what I understand of Ashihara, it's very similar to Enshin (Ninomiya of Enshin was Ashihara's top student), but there's less emphasis on throws. They both do the "fighting kata." I've heard they are similar, but they're not the same.

Reminds me... did you check out the Enshin dojo? I think you said you were going to, but I think remember you saying it wasn't close to you.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Please let us know how it goes. I'm a big fan of Ashihara and his approach. From what I understand of Ashihara, it's very similar to Enshin (Ninomiya of Enshin was Ashihara's top student), but there's less emphasis on throws. They both do the "fighting kata." I've heard they are similar, but they're not the same.

Reminds me... did you check out the Enshin dojo? I think you said you were going to, but I think remember you saying it wasn't close to you.

Hi JR, I somehow felt that you would reply on this thread. Well, the class was simply amazing. The emphasis on sabaki is clearly seen and felt. As Kaicho said to me, they prefer power that is felt and not seen so their approach is relaxed but swift. They make contact even on the slightest movement which is great. They demonstrated the first kata for me and its bunkai and I was impressed. It was lovely. I also got trained through some drills and I was invited for a second class as well. The feeling was very homely for me.

Enshin Karate has the same approach but Kaicho stated that the katas aren't the same that Ninomiya Sensei created his own. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to make it to Enshin due to the travel distance and peak traffic.

I love this approach and I'm definitely going to go again on Wednesday evening! Kaicho showed me pictures with him alongside Ashihara Sensei and his training with him so his training is legit.

Last edited by Dani_001 on Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani_001 or JR 137,

I have never heard of either of these Karate styles, which says nothing, but the phase "fighting Kata" peaked my interest. Can you explain what you mean by fighting Kata? I thought all traditional Kata were fighting Kata but for some reason I think definitions might not be the same.

Thanks.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Dani_001 or JR 137,

I have never heard of either of these Karate styles, which says nothing, but the phase "fighting Kata" peaked my interest. Can you explain what you mean by fighting Kata? I thought all traditional Kata were fighting Kata but for some reason I think definitions might not be the same.

Thanks.

I put "fighting kata" in quotes, because that's what I've heard them referred to as in Enshin and Ashihara karate. I agree, traditional kata are fighting kata, but I'm just using what I've seen said. A video is worth a million words.

As for Enshin karate and Ashihara karate, both are Kyokushin offshoots. Ashihara karate was started by Hideyuki Ashihara. He was a top Kyokushin teacher back in the "Fighting Black Kings" era, c. 1976. He was a big proponent of tai sabaki, as he put it moving circularly and hitting from the blind spot vs Kyokushin's stereotypical straight forward and backward movement. When he broke away from Kyokushin (in the early 80s I think), he incorporated some Judo throws and principles (he had dan rank in Judo), eliminated traditional kata, and developed his own "fighting kata" which is far more akin to choreographed shadow kickboxing than actual kata IMO.

Joko Ninomiya was Ashihara's top student in Kyokushin, and followed him when Ashihara left Kyokushin. Ninomiya eventually split from Ashihara and formed Enshin karate, which arguably went further into the tai sabaki of Ashihara and brought in more Judo throws. Ninomiya also holds dan rank in Judo. Enshin's big competition is the Sabaki Challenge. Ninomiya's kata are along the same lines as Ashihara's, just different moves, so to speak.

Enshin "fighting kata..."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XeaEfgzeeE4

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, I feel is an element that I am missing at the moment. So I may go with Ashihara alone or do both because I still love Gōjū Ryū kata. There are differences in the kihon but I can adapt to do both so I will make a final decision. The Ashihara school isn't expensive and I feel the reason for this is because the Honbu is in an area where crime is high and unemployment is high as well so to bring the youth up, they can train in effective fighting karate technique when confronted with a situation. The beauty as well is that both the schools are on alternative days which is a bonus.

JR, the Enshin school and Ashihara school are friends and the Enshin school instructed me to come to Ashihara because it is close to my area where I reside.

Last edited by Dani_001 on Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii, this is a better video of a demonstration of a kata by Enshin Karate practitioners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbXrpKHUoWI

Please don't be fooled by thinking it's only kicks. If you haven't been in a class then that is what you will think. These guys have sweet locks, takedowns and hitting technique.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR137, I have made up my mind. I found something I like and want to do. Tonight's whole session was with the Kaicho. And I enjoyed it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani_001 wrote:
JR137, I have made up my mind. I found something I like and want to do. Tonight's whole session was with the Kaicho. And I enjoyed it.

That's good news!! Enjoy! Train hard...train well!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani_001 wrote:

I'm glad you found what you're looking for. As sensei8 said, train hard.

As for Hussein Narker, I've heard very good things about him. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was on the kyokushin4life forum when it was around. If it was him, he was either AshiharaKaicho or AshiharaFist. I remember seeing his actual name in his signature, if I'm not mistaken. Very nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Best of luck with it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: