Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Attacking Or Obscuring The Opponent's Vision Reply with quote

One of the first techniques learned in karate was (rush forward) to obscure the opponent's vision with a palm strike with the left hand (covering the eyes) and use a reverse punch with the right.

While in Wing Chun (in emergency response situations) the finger jab to the eyes can end a fight quicker than anything else.

Meanwhile in boxing, to obstruct the opponent's vision between the gloves is very effective (with glove or forearm) as losing sight at what is coming up or over the top and around the corner makes for a good opportunities for landing punches in bunches.

Do you make good of use of obscuring or attacking the opponent's vision with your techniques?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can definitely be useful, I think, although it can be tough at times, too. Palming the face, especially covering the eyes briefly to deliver a blow elsewhere, can help in gaining an advantage. It might be something that can be pulled off in a self-defense scenario from the fence position with the lead hand, and is worth experimenting with in training. I don't think it should be a tactic of primary focus, because there are so many things to consider, but it could be useful.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from an Okinawan karate perspective, targeting eyes/face to open for strikes in a different area is a common strategy found in many kata. Very often it is a setup to destabilize and then following with a take-down, a low strike or throw. The Passai and Pinan kata come to mind. It is important to keep in mind the principle that nothing is used in isolation, so that although a face/eye strike might not be successful, the technique immediately following it has a good chance of working.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a worthwhile boxing example of Obscuring the opponent's vision, that also is applicable to other styles of combat.

What is your opinion about this video clip attached below?

Can you adapt this concept of Obscuring to your own existing fighting skills?

https://youtu.be/FjHaeloJvS0

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's definitely worthwhile to be able to do it.

But i'm also a fan of changing their focus whilst attacking. i.e. strike shoulders (distraction) whilst attacking the legs

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In uechi-ryu, we definitely take advantage of that. In fact, one of our hojo undo techniques (shomen hajiki) involves snapping the fingertips at the opponent's eyes.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear glasses and I'm sure if I were ever in a fight, the first thing that would happen is they'd get knocked off. I really should start training without them more to get used to it, but I'd probably hurt myself/someone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: