Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice to someone that is getting back in to martial arts after one year is to do an honest self assessment on ones own health issues and abilities.

From my own experience starting again from the lowest level ever while in cardio rehab was the lack of muscle strength, cardio and body conditioning, that were seriously affected.

So that is my advice is to work on becoming stronger, improving cardiovascular endurance, regaining mobility/flexibility and conditioning to be able to give and take blows without causing self inflicted injuries or accidents.

Where having correct form when kicking Thai pads but not conditioned for it, caused myself a three month layoff from training as my knees were not up to the occasion.

Having gradually increased training sessions and intensity is far better than trying to do too much too soon and causing delays and setbacks with injuries.

Not forgetting to improve one's diet making it more healthier than ever before and understanding the benefits from the foods that you are consuming.

Knowing that there is always room for improvement and knowing oneself better can help with self development aspects that need more attention than others.

Of course things are more complex than a few antidotes considering age, time restraints, financial circumstances, family commitments...

Go easy on yourself and enjoy your challenges as everything worthwhile takes time.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After discussing it with the student concerned, getting back into training is a key step towards mental rehabilitation and recovery from a serious case of depression. Before falling into this depression, this student had trained nearly every day since his early teens. Sometimes over an hour a day in addition to the time spent in the dojo.

Karate is the only source of physical activity for this person. He did mention practical self defense as an important priority, but it’s obvious that physical fitness, social and mental wellness are equally important to him because he is unable or uncomfortable with ro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: