Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Back to training Reply with quote

What advice could you give to an experienced student(second dan) who has been inactive for nearly a year? How should this student approach returning to regular training?

Many who are thinking seriously about resuming their training often forget that it isn’t just a matter of picking up where they left off, especially if it has been a while since any kind of physical activity was done.

One just cannot expect to be exactly where they were before, even if they still remember in their minds. The body probably will not and cannot perform what it used to do before the practitioner stopped being active. It’s easy to get discouraged if we forget that the body takes much more time to “remember” and perform as before the break than the mind might.i

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the side that speaks towards easing oneself slowly back into training, serious training requires that. Any CI will know that you've been off for some time, and will encourage you on the side of easing back into training. Sure, that same CI will push you, but nominally instead of full-blown out training sessions.

Your cardio, including stretches, have to be gradually awoken again, and know this, your body will be going..."Huh!!??!!", as you get back into the swing of things on the floor.

In short, rushing oneself can lead to injuries, and injuries are increased setbacks that we all want to avoid. In time, however long that might be, you'll be back in shape, but just how much back in shape depends on may parameters, like age, for example.

Like the "Rock" says, "Know your role", and that's extremely true, especially when one has to Know Your Age; I'm no longer that young whippersnapper anymore, of which my body loves to remind me of that fact.

Welcome back to training, Spartacus Maximus; train hard and train well; but ease back into it.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is if you're coming back now most people haven't trained in a dojo in 3-4 months, so anywhere you go should be doing a lot of review and slowly building back up. It's the best time to come back!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
The good news is if you're coming back now most people haven't trained in a dojo in 3-4 months, so anywhere you go should be doing a lot of review and slowly building back up. It's the best time to come back!

Solid post!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The student mentioned in the first post has been completely inactive for nearly a year. He has been mostly shut in as a result of severe mental breakdown from stress, anxiety and depression. Returning to training was actually a recommendation from his doctors, but given his fragile mental and physical condition, there isn’t much to be done.

He lost nearly all his flexibility and strength due to being bedridden or sedated under the effects of meds. As far as technical knowledge, he remembers but the biggest hurdle is getting over his problems with stamina.

Despite wanting to train again and being willing to make every effort, his present condition get the better of him and he tires very quickly. It’s obvious that it frustrates him a lot as this is someone who used to train between 6 and 10 hours a week excluding two hours at the dojo every two weeks. That’s with a full time physical job and daily home/family commitments.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this student got pretty far into a de-conditioned state. Exercise is very important for mental health, too.

A black belt should already know how to train themselves, know what their current limits are and what to work on. I would recommend starting off slowly with solo training for at least 4-6 weeks, all the usual stuff you would do in a class, just fewer reps and shorter duration.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that easing back into training is going to be the best. Especially in such a de-conditioned state. I'd recommend starting off with a maximum of two days per week of training. This helps limit expectations somewhat, in order to make them more manageble.

I would also consider talking with the student to try out this experiment: see if he's willing to wear a white belt for a time. I'm not saying to reduce him all the way to white belt, though. Have him wear a white belt until he can demonstrate proficiency in the white belt material. Once he's got that down, give him the belt signifying the next rank. Let him work up to that material, and the lower rank material, and then give him the next belt to wear. I think this would help him stay focused on just a few objectives at a time, while also using the time to get back into shape.

I think this would help keep the pressure off of this student to an extent, and build his confidence along the way.

MAD Mike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Yondan Concentration, Yuk dan, or Pal dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would want to know what his or her goals were.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD Mike wrote:
I would want to know what his or her goals were.

Possibly the best start to the conversation. What the goals are and why the comeback is most important IMO. Is the person there for physical health? Mental health? Improvement in the art itself? Socializing? Different ends require different means.

That being said, there’s rarely a single reason; it’s typically multiple reasons. But there’s usually one or two main reasons and the rest are additional.

MAD Mike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Yondan Concentration, Yuk dan, or Pal dan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the reason were a health risk I would begin he or her immediately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: