Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jnardino
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: basic karate instruction question Reply with quote

Hey everyone -- newbie here.

I'm doing some research regarding karate classes, and basically just need some input from people who actually have experience with it (I don't).

What kind of send-off would a karate instructor give to a class of children she were teaching? How would the kids be arranged? What would she say/do? What would they say/do? Think little kids.

I really appeciate whatever feedback I can get! Thanks so much.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By send off do you mean a way to end class.

I start and end my kids classes just like the adult ones with mediation and the dojo kune. Cant teach respect soon enough.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the school. Most do a bow, beyond that it can vary a lot.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

BKJ1216
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shudokan Karate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I rember when I was seven and my dad put me into karate. Basicly what we did was learn how to avoid fights, and evade fights. They did demostrations like the instructor mugging the assitant with a knife, it doesn't really teach them to fight. It just tells them how to avoid the fight.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid's are amazing! You'd be surprised how much they can do and learn that we sometimes don't give them credit for. Running classes with the same format as adult classes is a must...eventually they will be in (or teaching!) those classes!!!!!! Of course it's never too early to learn respect so rules about talking, horsing around, etc. are a must. You need to be consistant, consistant, consistant...and realize that you may have to say the same thing over, and over, and over for some kids to get. Always use PNP (positive statement, negative/correction, positive statement) when talking to them.
My old schoool always had a "word of the week" that was a tenet or positive message, etc. It was ALWAYS positive and fun to talk about it and NO One ever gave a "wrong answer" . After this discussion and questions the class was bowed out just like all the others..then it was time for high fives and additional praises.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We close class the same way we do with adults. We line them up, run through a creed or sometimes run through what they should do (Chores, homework, karate, then play) is a popular one. Just something to insert something into their little minds on what they should be doing to make their life meaningful. Then we bow to the instructors and to our flag.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: