Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: BB testing requirements (outside the curriculum) Reply with quote

Hiya all,

I have an interesting question for you. Is there requirements that you must meet before you test for BB? I mean, stuff outside the curriculum. And how do you feel about it? Like in my dojang, we have to do 5 hours of community service. Some dojangs, you have to get CPR/First aid training.

We also have to clean the dojang (2nd gups and up). We have 4 cleaning teams. And we rotate the teams every week, so one team cleans once a month. Now we have mini competitions between the teams. Kinda like a tourny style setting, but slightly different rules. It used to be 5 teams, and we didn't have these stupid mini comps. I didn't mind it so much then, but now it's getting really lame. If I want to compete, I'll go to a tourny

We also have to "coach" in class (assist in class), at least once per week. Well, they took that away from the red belts I really enjoyed that, too

Anyways, I wouldn't mind the community service thing, the CPR thing (if they had it here), and the coaching. But the other stuff has to go.

Ok, your turn

JWLuiza
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do and Jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: BB testing requirements (outside the curriculum) Reply with quote

karatekid1975 wrote:
Hiya all,

I have an interesting question for you. Is there requirements that you must meet before you test for BB? I mean, stuff outside the curriculum. And how do you feel about it? Like in my dojang, we have to do 5 hours of community service. Some dojangs, you have to get CPR/First aid training.

We also have.......
We also have to "coach" in class (assist in class), at least once per week. Well, they took that away from the red belts I really enjoyed that, too

Anyways, I wouldn't mind the community service thing, the CPR thing (if they had it here), and the coaching. But the other stuff has to go.

Ok, your turn

You are free labor. You pay them for lessons which pays for the building and they are abusing you to clean the dojo. (At least that is one way to look at it). You pay them to provide teaching and they use you for that as well... You are in a martial arts dojo/jang not a HS group or a fraternity/sorority. Your black belt should be based on your martial arts, not community service.

We have no requirements outside of skill, but still have the involvement and volunteers.

Or maybe I'm spoiled.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. No, I do see your point, and I agree.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we used to make beginners clean the dojo. That was more to make sure they were able to be humble though. It wasn't to embarass them, degrade them, or get free labor. It was a step each of us had gone through, my instructor got it from his instructor, and his instructor from his, etc. So, it's just something we've done.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BB testing requirements (outside the curriculum) Reply with quote

karatekid1975 wrote:

Ok, your turn

The whole team cleaning thing seems lame to me, unless you are getting some kind of deal or working for lessons. But as a requirement? Come on. I have helped around the dojo from time to time but it was strictly voluntary and not part of any black belt requirement.

Anyway, I hope he supplies the gloves.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Red J. Darn right he provides gloves or I wouldn't touch the place.

I used to clean my TSD dojang, but that WAS for lessons when I lost my job. But this dojang, it's required for BB.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different dojo/dojang have different requirements to test. When I tested there was a reading list, but no CPR classes or community service. Then I know others who only had to know their katas, basics, etc. Their tests were done ont he whim of the instructor. I know others who have had to go to seminars, read books, take instructor classes, etc., etc. Each instructor will want different things.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Spirit At Choice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Cuong Nhu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a white belt, but I hear things... I think there is a volunteer requirement for different belt levels. A green belt told me she has to give one hour a week to the dojo. There are also written tests that are on the order of knowing the code of ethics (green belt) and personal essays (black belt).

For volunteer service, you can assist in a class, or you can do the clean-up days. There's probably other ways to fulfil the requirement.

I don't think any of it is about getting free labor. I think that's just a perk for the dojo. I think the reason behind it all is truly that it does a lot for increasing the sense of community and keeping us humble.

I hear lots of complaints about the service time, though. That's not a huge issue for me because I have been giving voluteer hours regularly since I was 11.
Rejoice and be glad!

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than being a good person in general I never had any other outside requirements. Which was a comfort since I don't do windows

karatekid1975
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Good one. I wish that's all that mattered was just skill, but nope. We have to clean or get no BB

Well I haven't trained in a month and a half (except for Jujitsu), so it really doesn't matter now. I work two jobs, so everything is on hold, anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: