Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
I don't think it will affect that, actually. Ninjutsu is considered legitimate my many people - it's a Japanese art with some history, and there are a couple practitioners who teach what they remember of it. It is not considered legitimate by others. I haven't seen any shift whatsoever between those groups in a long time, and having the lineage come apart isn't going to affect any of that. If people keep their ego in their pockets and downshift their claims to grandeur into a bunch of equal high level sub-lines, it might even help because the claims will be faintly more humble.

I think the main issue is that there are already some out there that claim to have learned the Ninjitsu art, and are somewhat suspect in their attitudes, claims, challenges, etc, and those are the things that stick out in many people's minds.

But, I will say, if someone can't be designated and heir, doesn't mean that they can't attempt to keep the art alive, or at least what they do know of the art, alive in some way of their own, and still keep Ninjitsu in the MA realm in that way.

tallgeese wrote:
Interesting article. Seeing what will happen after the deaths of the heads of the groups will be interesting. Even if someone takes up the reigns, the struggle for legitimacy that ninjitsu has had will not be made any easier by a bunch of splinter organizations.

I agree with you, tg. Its these guys that you don't hear much about that could really keep the illegitimacy that others spout clear for the rest of us.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjutsu has started and stopped a few times here in North Wales, it doesn't seem to survive. There was a camp in Snowdonia, but their origins were less than credible. No competition, no real syllabus left them high and dry. There is a group near Wrexham, but this is 80 miles from us.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think the main issue is that there are already some out there that claim to have learned the Ninjitsu art, and are somewhat suspect in their attitudes, claims, challenges, etc, and those are the things that stick out in many people's minds.
This is true - but there are no shortage of "Karate", "Gongfu", "BJJ", "MMA", etc. teachers who are equally qualified.
An agreement of "There is no longer a single top person, and we have been told in no uncertain terms that if someone claims to be the top person, that they are not it - we agree to splinter peacefully into a number of loosely affiliated schools" would work fine.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Ninjutsu has started and stopped a few times here in North Wales, it doesn't seem to survive. There was a camp in Snowdonia, but their origins were less than credible. No competition, no real syllabus left them high and dry. There is a group near Wrexham, but this is 80 miles from us.

Ninjutsu has competions?

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
Harkon72 wrote:

Ninjutsu has competions?
Ever see Gymkata?

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjutsu doesn't do competitions, basically ever. Their training is pretty much the pinnacle of "Uhm... we don't train for competitions..". Their kata are two movements long at max, and they spend a lot of time working on weapons techniques that would fit in with military combatives and on various other side skills.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time contemplating this and there is room for speculation that the ninja, as they were in their "prime," still by much exist. I remember taking a Bujinkan class and hearing that ninja trained in such a way that any weapon around them would be accessible for use. This is all to say, who's to say that they didn't upgrade the tools of the trade with the times. Instead of swords they use guns. Perhaps we just simply call them assassins instead of ninjas. It seems to me that in a world as hi-tech as ours it wouldn't be too terribly hard to eliminate information about this, especially if one is as crafty as a ninja.

Again, this is just some fun speculation. Had a couple days to let my mind wonder on the fact.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been that discussion, but the summary of it was basically that there are a lot of people similar to the ninja around, but that they aren't in lineage.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
I spent some time contemplating this and there is room for speculation that the ninja, as they were in their "prime," still by much exist. I remember taking a Bujinkan class and hearing that ninja trained in such a way that any weapon around them would be accessible for use. This is all to say, who's to say that they didn't upgrade the tools of the trade with the times. Instead of swords they use guns. Perhaps we just simply call them assassins instead of ninjas. It seems to me that in a world as hi-tech as ours it wouldn't be too terribly hard to eliminate information about this, especially if one is as crafty as a ninja.

Again, this is just some fun speculation. Had a couple days to let my mind wonder on the fact.

JusticeZero wrote:
There has been that discussion, but the summary of it was basically that there are a lot of people similar to the ninja around, but that they aren't in lineage.

I think Zaine has a good point. Modern espionage is different than when the Ninja were in demand. Training has changed, and the tools have changed mainly because they technology has gotten better. Nowadays you would be looking at circumventing electronic security systems including sensors and cameras, and things like that. So, the game has changed, and the old Ninja schools, although I'm sure they still have some valuable skills to teach, aren't as necessary as they once were.

And, like JZ mentioned, the lineage thing. It basically makes it "official" that there will be no more of the traditional Ninja. You might be able to refer to some spys as "modern day Ninja," but they won't be what many would call the "real thing."

barrypardue
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: