Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ravenzoom
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I have mentioned before in another thread I happen to be a great amateur of beer - all types of beers Imported, local, etc. I simply love the taste of a quality beer and will never stop drinking that's for sure, I love it too much. I also enjoy a good whiskey or southern comfort at the end of the day before going to sleep. Do I drink too much? Surely, but I very seldom get drunk, only on certain occasions (I never go to bars). Unlike many other drinkers, I do not drink for the 'feeling' but for the taste mainly. I know I will never be in top physical shape because of this, but it's not what I'm looking for either. I play hockey, tennis, etc. for leisure and not for competition so it's fine with me. Like others have mentioned, it's to every one's discretion what and how you drink but moderation is better for sure.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....Beer does not change my performance , but difficults the definition of my muscles.... I am kinda muscular , but the beer belly does not want to go away.

a_ninja
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Green belt in shotokan karte, and know a little about alot of other styles, but not from schools such as kung fu, muay thai, tai kwon do, and weapons

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont drink, but 1 every once in a while could still hurt you but i dont think it would effect your martial arts unless you drank too much.

brokenswordx
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-Ryu Karate, Muso Jikiden Eishin Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drink in moderation, it doesn't have control of my life since i know my limit and don't pass it. lol i don't drink in a social setting 'cause trouble always comes with it in my case, so i drink alone....

username8517
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a beer or two every now and then and I've just about given up all hard liquor. And generally the only time I'll drink is in social settings or if I'm home and not going anywhere for the remainder of the night.

It's just like many have said before. It's all about moderation and knowing your limits.

YoungMan
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan, some Aikido

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone to dinner with fellow TKD judges after a test and after our yearly tournament. Some don't drink (mainly because they have to drive), but most of us do. We don't get falling down drunk, but we enjoy ourselves.
And I've gone out to dinner and celebrated with other Aikido students and black belts. The idea that Aikido students are prohibited from drinking is absolutely false.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combat Karate, Kenpo,Jujitsu, and Boxing

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated several times here, drinking in moderation isn't bad. I have seen several really good martial artist get their hind ends handed to them because they were to intoxicated to actually execute a proper technique (nevermind having to good sense to leave a situation before it got out of hand).

K.Mabon
United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

YoungMan
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan, some Aikido

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which just goes to show, a smart martial artist will not get really drunk in an environment where there could be trouble. As a martial artist, going to a bar and getting so drunk you can't defend yourself properly should the need arise is a recipe for disaster. Better to save the heavy drinking for a situation where things are less likely to go wrong.
My Instructor throws a party every year at his house. He invites only people he knows and trusts, and makes arrangements for those who have overdone it. We have never had any problems.

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that about 3 days a week I have a glass of red wine. About once every three months my girlfriends and I get pretty sloshed and silly. I'd say that's about right for my age-I'm 24.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elky wrote:
Since most self-defence situations occur when those involved have been drinking, it's important to get drunk before as many karate classes as possible. I try and do one sober class per month just so I can remember my kata. Otherwise, the drunker the better.

Im not sure if your being serious or not... But in any case, i do recommend for those who drink when in public that they should do at least 1 full training session while under the influence to see how it effects the bodies reaction and your perception etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: