Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

We removed a post from this thread in error. It is quoted below. cross' post, above, quotes it. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

Elky wrote:
Since most self-defence situations occur when those involved have been drinking, it's important to get drunk before as many karate classes as possible. I try and do one sober class per month just so I can remember my kata. Otherwise, the drunker the better.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

A. Orstrom
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai Karate, Nishio-ryu Aikido, Genseiryu, Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that Shihan Midori (president of Shinkyokushin) once said: "Whatever you do, you have to do it 100%. If you train, train as hard as possible. The same goes for drinking and partying"
(Quoted freely from memory. My sensei who have met Midori told me the story)

I don't drink too often (about once a week or so) but when I do I drink hard

Sensei Rick
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink. I don't believe that as Sensei, I should drink. One must be mindful of their appearance at all times. I am conscious of my behavior in public. I tell my students (the youth ones at least.) that to resist the temptations that others fall into so easily is part of being a black belt. It falls into discipline. All of my friends drink, even the policemen that are friends. I also play in a jam band. When we have parties, and when people who don’t know me are in attendance, they often think I’m a crazy drunk. I can have a good time without alcohol. My friends, who used to think that it was strange that I didn’t drink, are always quick to “defend” me, and tell the new found friends that I don’t drink. Now I am looked up to, just for not drinking. (weird) They are always the first to point it out and I simply keep silent. The funniest thing about no drinking is that people assume that you’re an alcoholic and you’re in recovery. Or that you’re a diabetic or something. Not simply that you just don’t want to drink.

I am the host of our tournaments, so I play the music and MC the entire event. I am very well known to all the students from the other instructors in our organization. When I least expect it, and I’m just out with my wife or something, some little kid will some up to me and say, “are you Sensei Rick?” Always surprised that I would wanna eat at olive garden or something. I think that it’s a good thing that I’m not a drunk at these moments.

I am in my forties. My teenage students see that they tire before me, even when I lead the classes and match them kick for kick, working out right along side of them. When they see me demonstrate a jump turning RH kick or something, I want them to believe that they can do it too; I want them to aspire to something higher within themselves. Leading by example, and not just because I said so, is something that I have tried hard to work on. I very well can’t tell a kid to stay away from drugs or alcohol, if I partake of them myself. Just as I wouldn’t ask them to perform better and harder, if I can not do it myself.

I know there are instructors that drink, and that’s there choice. I have studied though with many people, and I think about who influenced me the most, and try to emulate them. It’s just my thing though, and if you’re an instructor that drinks, I hope that it is as others have said, only in moderation.

Sensei Rick
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Hello,

We removed a post from this thread in error. It is quoted below. cross' post, above, quotes it. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

Elky wrote:
Since most self-defence situations occur when those involved have been drinking, it's important to get drunk before as many karate classes as possible. I try and do one sober class per month just so I can remember my kata. Otherwise, the drunker the better.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought I was drunk for a minute.

Existence_is _suffering
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: I have experience in Aikido, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good as long as you know your limits etc... Getting blind drunk every night seems kind of pointless (and expensive!) to me. But, as some people have pointed out, it is handy knowing how you would react/handle in a situation when you're affected by alcohol etc.

NY_Karatedork
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink and I always try to tell people the dangers of drinking but I guess people just gotta pour foul tasting liquids down their throats. It kills brain cells and damages your liver. Plus if you are a career drinker you could wind up with alcohol coming out your pores. Yeah grosses me out too.

username8517
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karatedork,

There are benefits to drinking alcohol in moderation.

Here is an article from MayoClinic.com stating benefits of drinking alcohol in moderation.

And here is a article from the National Council of Alcohol and Drug Dependence (NCADD) stating that while there may be some benefits to drinking alcohol, you must do so in moderation, and take into account the potentially negative affects if you're considered high risk.

All in all, I believe alcohol is alright as long as responsiblity and moderation is practiced.

P.S.--Personally I think some forms of alcohol takes quite good.

YoungMan
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan, some Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not you drink is a personal choice guided by you values.

However, we are martial artists, not monks. You only live once, and I have seen too many colleagues enjoy rum and Cokes to really think teaching martial arts precludes you from imbibing. We also, as far as I know, are not training in monastaries. We have every right to enjoy ourselves like other people. Just don't overdo it. And if you do, don't drive and don't do it around students.

I head storues that my original Korean Instructor, when he was with fellow Koreans, really put them away (drinks). He always came to class ready to teach though.

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, individuals who don't drink at all have higher risk (of death at any given age) than those who drink moderately.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh27-1/39-51.htm

http://kirbymtn.blogspot.com/2007/07/health-benefits-of-moderate-drinking.html

http://www.wynboer.co.za/recentarticles/200607health.php3

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YoungMan wrote:
Whether or not you drink is a personal choice guided by you values.

However, we are martial artists, not monks. You only live once, and I have seen too many colleagues enjoy rum and Cokes to really think teaching martial arts precludes you from imbibing. We also, as far as I know, are not training in monastaries. We have every right to enjoy ourselves like other people. Just don't overdo it. And if you do, don't drive and don't do it around students.

I head storues that my original Korean Instructor, when he was with fellow Koreans, really put them away (drinks). He always came to class ready to teach though.

I agree 100%, YoungMan. Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: