Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CTTKDKing
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Greco Wrestling, Muay Thai, Sho Bin Ju, Boxing

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many have already put in their thoughts but I feel like I can add in my 2 cents. I'm 27 and started TKD when I was 22. I stopped for a couple years in the middle to finish up my degree, but now that i'm done I'm back and loving it. One of my buddies from my school is a 48 year old who just earned his 1st Dan. We have several middle age men and women working toward their black belts as well. I think the most inspirational person there though is an older gentleman named Mike. He is 70 and started TKD at my school the month he retired at age 65. He just received his first degree BB and he told me he is in the best shape in 20 years. 22 too old? I say nay.

ninjacop
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started at 47 felt to old some mornings after but still training next belt is blck belt and holding my own with the youngsters in class. Never say never

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: beginner concerned about age Reply with quote

Mr. E wrote:
hi guys i am 22 and have no previous experience in any martial arts, would i be able to train in the art and be successful in it. i am thinking of joining the shotokan style in karate. please i need your advice.

Do what you want to do in life, if its training in Karate then go for it.
It may take a while but with regular grading you can acheive Black Belt in your 3rd year - this may seem like ages but is a journey that does take time for a reason and is more than worth it!
I'm nearly 42 and train with my kids (12/13) - we are all Brown belts and loving it.

Crimson_Lotus
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate and MMA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think age matters.

I am 26 and I just started about a month ago. I LOVE IT!!

There are some people there who started in their 30s and 40s and are black belts now.

Age doesn't seem to matter. Go for it!

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was 23 when I started karate and took it seriously. age is not a problem, just join a good dojo and enjoy the ride

comparethecloud
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Age to start Reply with quote

I am based in London and started off many years ago with Ticky Donovan in Stratford UK.

I have a 2.5 year old boy and wonder what would be the best age to start him off.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't start a kid off in the MAs until they are at least 6, and even that won't apply to every kid. Anything younger than that is probably going to lack focus enough to learn and retain anything.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a lot of more "mature" people who test for their BB...they end up joining with their kids and decide to stick with it. That was how I started at age 35, I wanted to sign up my son and it was only another $10/month for me to join as well.

My son (and daughter) went for a few years and then decided to leave. I've been doing TKD for over 12 years now and look at it as a lifelong pursuit.

Regarding how young, we have shorter classes for the little ones (ages 6 and up). I would say that 6 is the youngest if they are in a special class, and I would say no earlier than 8 or 9 if they work out with older kids and/or adults. As bushido_man96 said, any younger and they don't have the focus to get anything out of it.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: beginner concerned about age Reply with quote

Mr. E wrote:
hi guys i am 22 and have no previous experience in any martial arts, would i be able to train in the art and be successful in it. i am thinking of joining the shotokan style in karate. please i need your advice.

You're never too old to start in the martial arts. I started back into them when I was 24 and recieved my shodan just after I turned 27 then started BJJ at 30. I sometimes wish I had started BJJ earlier but atleast I'm doing it. It's never too late. There's stories out there of people starting in some style of martial art in their 50's and 60's and going great. Just find the art you enjoy and have fun with it.

SimonAsh86
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 25 when i started out in Shotokan, didnt last long before switching to goju ryu. Now i definately wish i had started earlier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: