Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

devastat
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Beginner - should I get a heavy weight Karate gi? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have experience of doing 3 months of goju-ryu karate before and now after 2 years I have just started a beginners course on Shorinji-ryu.

I am about to get a karate uniform, and did some research and found out that Kamikaze America (14oz) is a good karate gi that will last for a long time. My only worry is that is there any disadvantages on getting a heavy-weight karate gi while being a beginner and learning basic technique? Would it be better for me to get a middle- or light-weight karate gi first and would I learn the basic technique more correctly with light weight karate gi, as the instructor might correct my postures more easily?

Thanks!

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue with a heavy gi is heat. I don't know that it has any effect on technique (I certainly didn't notice any difference) but it will last longer, withstand throws and the like better, and also cook you like a roast hen under sustained inefficient exertion in a warm and/or humid space.
Debating on your training space and personal attributes, this may or may not be an issue.

beagstkd
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tae kwon do, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
The main issue with a heavy gi is heat. I don't know that it has any effect on technique (I certainly didn't notice any difference) but it will last longer, withstand throws and the like better, and also cook you like a roast hen under sustained inefficient exertion in a warm and/or humid space.
Debating on your training space and personal attributes, this may or may not be an issue.
I agree. The only difference I've noticed is more durability and "heat" with a heavier gi.

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find a canvas gi much nicer to train in than a cotton one, but the weight of canvas doesn't matter much. The cotton ones are prone to clinging to your limbs when they get damp and sweaty, which isn't a good feeling. Canvas ones might give you a bit of a sandpapering for a couple weeks until your skin gets tougher, all good, no? .

Cheers,
Tony

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the heavy. I think that they wear better than a lighter one.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a gi guy for a lot of my training, BJJ excepted. But I do prefer a heavier weave when I do have one one, even in stand up arts. But again, it's just preference.

I do think that much of it comes down to durability.

barryives
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate/Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used to train in a Heavyweight Gi, but having tried a Mediumweight I wouldn't train in anything else now.

rogue2257
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kwanmukan, Shotokan Karate, Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have to recommend the heavy gi. I used to train in a light one, but I wouldn't use anything but the heavier material now. The heavy is a stronger material, so it'll last longer. On top of that, when you do your punches and kicks well, the gi makes a nice popping sound that you just don't get with the lighter material.

Of course, I have to tell you how I lost my lightweight gi. I was sparring another black belt in class and right in the middle of the match, he ended up stepping on the very bottom of my gi pants as I was stepping backwards and the pants tore all the way up to my thigh (I'm a tall guy, so that's quite a ways.) It wasn't my most spectacular moment in karate, to say the least. Funny though.

shinobitribe
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a heavy Gi. The Gi talks to its owner.When your doing your techniques eg your punches, the Gi will make a rustling sound when your hikate hand comes back and the zuki hand will make a snapping sound.This will tell you that your punches are moving in a straight line and close to your body.So as I said before your Gi will talk to you.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As pretty much everyone else has said, a heavyweight gi is hotter and more durable, but I would also add that they tend to be more expensive. If you KNOW you are going to be training for a long time then the investment in a good, heavyweight gi makes sense, but if you don't know for sure if you'll stick with it then you would probably be okay just buying a cheap middleweight gi.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: