Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Do you call 911 before reacting if there is time to do so?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Being careful, even when dealing with 'victims' Reply with quote

I have an example of how being a good samaritan, and how trying to help (even when doing as the 911 operator advises) can get one in trouble.
I used to live in Marietta, Georgia and while residing in one of the nicer apartment complexes therein, I was driving out with my sister, my nieces, and my ex-wife when we happened to observe a couple fighting. I do not know how it started, and I do not know the original assailant in the fight (which is CRITICAL when 'getting involed', or advancing to help), so I called 911... and did NOT get directly involved. The man was hitting the woman into his windshield head-first, and I told the operator. She advised me (ala G. Zimmerman) to back off, and ty to avoid being seen, while staying on the phone and observing what I can. I immediately complied... backing up around the corner, and about 1/8 mile down the side-road.
IRONICALLY, I was in no way visible from the apartment in question, but somewhere, somehow, these two found out that someone called the police.While on the phone with the operator (THANK GOD), the man came at me first. I was outside of my car (because for obvious reasons, I was safer outside of the car than in it with 5 passengers, and the reception was better, this was 1997 after all...). He began to slam his hands on the hood of the car, and started to threaten me. I did advise him that I had called 911, and he produced a stick (think escrima). He advanced on me and I did not produce a firearm, but I warned him that I was in the right to defend myself if he came at me.
He left after my over-shirt blew open revealing a full duty-belt underneath my street clothes.
Then a few moments later (the police were a little bit behind that day I guess), the woman began to scream (think Banshee and not 'help-help') and run towards the car. I told her to stop, and at that point (before she started running but well after I saw her), I had gotten out my mace. I informed her that I had people to protect, and to that end, I would use the mace if necessary. She then left... at the time of the arrival of the police.
The police, as luck would have it, were not dispatched to my husband-is beating- wife's head into car, he was there for an 'armed assailant threatening with a firearm'... guess my 911 operator got trumped. The police officer came up to me, hands on gun (I was not producing a weapon, I was informing him of my status (LEGAL), and I had my hands on the vehicle, making his actions a NO-NO). I was talking the whole time, narrating the situation. The police officer made me take off my weapon, unload it, and place it on the vehicle (acceptable)... But then, he produced handcuffs. I thereupon asked why he had done so, and he stated he was arresting me for carrying an unlicensed eapon (mind you, under OCGA 16-11-127), I was licensed, and informed him--- producing my ID which was already out. The 911 operator is still on the phone (thenk God and Karma...), and heard me tell him so. She apparently dispatched a supervisor, knowing that this officer was messing up.
I demanded a supervisor, unaware of her actions (911 operator) and he showed up about 10 seconds before this man made a career changing mistake. He had me on the car, and had the handcuff against my hand when the supervisor told him to stop. He walked back to the supervisor vehicle, and I saw him turn a shade of red that I still to this day will never forget. The supervisor walked up to me, officer in tow, and actually asked me if I wanted to press Assault with a Deadly Weapon charges. I refused, conditioning it with as long as he was re-trained in ccw activities, and sensitivity training. The supervisor told the officer 'see you tomorrow at 7am', and told him to put his cuffs away and to call him to respond to all of the officer's calls the rest of the day.
I tried to help the 'smart' way, and still got in trouble and had to deal with a rogue cop, two people that needed help, and if it were not for the 911 operator, I am writing this from jail...lol.
The moral of my story is this:
Be careful what you do, consider all of the ramifications (even those that seem far-fetched), and tread lightly. AND keep the 911 operator on the line as LONG AS YOU CAN!!
And remember my catch-phrase when dealing with someone else's life!
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!!
I always weigh as many facts as I can, and with my LEO training, interactions with police (good and bad), and from many-many-many years of experience behind, and in front of a badge, judge, and jury, I have become a student of CCW law, self-defense law, and operational principle in escalation, deescalation, and practical defense. I recommend the same for everyone else... become a student of the laws if you are going to use your (or any) method of defense, and the final key--- DEFENSE!!!

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tricky when dealing with police. Even if you're completely in the rights, it just takes a nervous rookie, an uninformed officer, or a rogue cop to throw all that good-samaritanism in the mud.

Thanks for sharing your story.

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="darksoul"]It's tricky when dealing with police. Even if you're completely in the rights, it just takes a nervous rookie, an uninformed officer, or a rogue cop to throw all that good-samaritanism in the mud.

Thanks for sharing your story.[/quote]

This is not the only time (and in reality, the gun laws in Georgia can be tricky, I have received a TON more respect in Ohio even if their LEOs are a little slower on the enforcement side of things...); however, I still believe in the system, and if it is CLEAR what is going on (ie, I do not walk in on a man with a knife and shoot him, only to find he is the actual victim, another situation that almost happened to me...) I will react and I will defend people.
The system does work, as long as one is prepared. I remember a quote from Under Seige 2... but I cannot remember the actor... but it goes, 'chance favors the prepared mind'. I do this in everything that I do.
I drive in a manner that allows me to be safe, and to make the same split-second decisions in most situations (nobody prepares for EVERY thing). I am the beginner of 'be safe' rather than be careful.
My belief on that is because being careful means watching, wondering, and anticipating. Bein safe means that you have thought of the scenario, you have planned for as many issues that arise, and you are ready for potential consequences. I also live that way. I have cameras, motion alarms, and I even keep insurance on everything that I own. Truth is, one needs to be prepared before they begin the journey. If you know why you are walking down the 'road' then you are prepared for the stops along the way!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome post...thanks for sharing it!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: