Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Being Fit vs Being Healthy Reply with quote

It does take time to understand the difference, as there are those that are fit that die young, never getting the chance to knowing the difference.

As when middle aged and fit almost died from coronary heart failure four times, if for not being very fit at the time, that would have been the end of this story.

After being drained from my heart issues I gradually after many years regained my strength, through cardiac rehabilitation and life style changes.

At present I am as healthy as possible and also more fitter than average, excluding heart damage caused by the attacks.

So what I am putting forth to you is to be healthy is more important than being fit, but when combining them, you will be in no doubt in knowing that you are in the best way shape and form possible.

Here is another Maist opinion on the subject.

https://youtu.be/i2Ex6Fb165U

Are you fit and healthy?

Is fit and healthy the same thing for you?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the difference between the two are not always clear and that could be because the two concepts are not mutually exclusive. One cannot be physically fit without also being healthy, and healthy people are usually reasonably fit. To take this further into detail it would be well to establish a reference standard for “healthy” and “fit”. “Healthy”is not just being free of sickness or injury. Nor does “fit” necessarily mean having the physical condition of an elite commando or Olympic athlete in the prime of life. There are many many more factors to take in that that. Things like lifestyle, eating habits or age for instance. It can get quite complicated.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being fit or being healthy for me now is to combine the two, as this was not always the case, something that I needed to learn.

While in a hospital bed in the cardiac ward I woke up to being surrounded by paramedics, it was surreal, while the head nurse was explaining to them that here is a sick man, even though he looks like he is in good shape.

Even when I had my first heart attack, the paramedics that showed up didn't seem convinced that I was so mortally I'll, as I looked fit and toned, as perhaps I was assumed to be something else such as a recreational drug user.

My health deteriorated even further with three more heart attacks (was a living hell) till finally the right heart surgeons, put me back on track (18 years ago) with the appropriate treatment, giving me the chance to regain my health.

As for now I am fit and healthy and not just for my age, as I work out close to 40 hours a week.

Apologise for the explanation that sounds a bit like me me me but when I lost my health I also lost my fitness, that somehow went in the bin, it had taken me many years to regain my strength as it was depleted to nearly nothing.

So from experience, healthy living first and foremost then improving fitness levels, as looking fit and even performing well, needs a healthy lifestyle to sustain it.

The bonus I have found, is that being healthy means recovery time is quicker after workouts and post muscle soreness is not an issue, as tonight I was leg pressing 180 kilos and my weight is only 75 kilos and still managed later, without any problem to go for a bike run and jog, with still enough energy to talk about it.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being Fit and Healthy are two separate entities themselves, despite being closely linked.

Someone could look like the Rock, who could say is very Fit. But for the Rock he is also very heatlhy, as he maintains his health extremely well. Yet the person could in actuality be unhealthy.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Being Fit and Healthy are two separate entities themselves, despite being closely linked.

Someone could look like the Rock, who could say is very Fit. But for the Rock he is also very heatlhy, as he maintains his health extremely well. Yet the person could in actuality be unhealthy.

Well said Nidan Melbourne.

As in the gym I go to many of the personal trainers smoke, which tells me that as they may look fit they are in fact not healthy.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I get blood work done, my numbers always come back pretty good; cholesterol is never high, I don't have high blood pressure, things like that. But I'm not in good shape. My measurements are not what I want them to be. So, overall, I'm healthy, but not fit.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Whenever I get blood work done, my numbers always come back pretty good; cholesterol is never high, I don't have high blood pressure, things like that. But I'm not in good shape. My measurements are not what I want them to be. So, overall, I'm healthy, but not fit.

Healthy people live longer than fit people, therefore you are living on the right side of the fence.

Fitness mean nothing without health.

Being a skilful healthy martial artist has a very good ring to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: