Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbersky wrote:
What gets me is $30 for a bit of electrical tape around the end of the belt?

I tend to have a system where I have 3 to 4 stripes around the belt before they can grade for the next colour (they don't pay for these stripes)

A stripe belt isn't always just electrical tape, it's common in TKD and related styles to use belts with a proper stripe sewn onto the belt, hence it costs the same as buying a normal belt. Belt fees also aren't just for the belt, it can cover hall hire, breaking material, instructor's time, getting an external examiners in etc.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no strips of tape in our club, Junior grades have white stripes on each kyu grade which is a new belt. Brown belts have a white stripe for 2nd Kyu then a black one for 1st Kyu. I think $30 for a piece of tape is asking a lot.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Dobbersky wrote:

I tend to have a system where I have 3 to 4 stripes around the belt before they can grade for the next colour (they don't pay for these stripes)

A stripe belt isn't always just electrical tape, it's common in TKD and related styles to use belts with a proper stripe sewn onto the belt, hence it costs the same as buying a normal belt. Belt fees also aren't just for the belt, it can cover hall hire, breaking material, instructor's time, getting an external examiners in etc.

Agreed, Blitz for one do and excellent range of striped belts, but in my experience of the clubs I've visited its electrical tape.

I use the Blitz striped belts for my Junior grades from 2nd (Kyu) brown upto Junior 2nd Dan (they test as 16 for adult 1st Dan)

DoctorQui
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Wado Ryu and Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbersky wrote:
DWx wrote:
Dobbersky wrote:

Agreed, Blitz for one do and excellent range of striped belts, but in my experience of the clubs I've visited its electrical tape.

I use the Blitz striped belts for my Junior grades from 2nd (Kyu) brown upto Junior 2nd Dan (they test as 16 for adult 1st Dan)

I agree with Dobbers! Having been to a few dojos in recent years the worst ones charged inxs of £20 for the privilege of wearing a piece of electrical tape and that is literally what it was. As the student was called up, the instructor was litlerally ripping the tape of a reel and biting it to length! One school use this system on the kids in order to show ongoing progress (kids get bored and 3months is ages for them) but didn't formally grade or charge for that which is fine imo.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorQui wrote:
Dobbersky wrote:
DWx wrote:
Dobbersky wrote:

I agree with Dobbers! Having been to a few dojos in recent years the worst ones charged inxs of £20 for the privilege of wearing a piece of electrical tape and that is literally what it was. As the student was called up, the instructor was litlerally ripping the tape of a reel and biting it to length! One school use this system on the kids in order to show ongoing progress (kids get bored and 3months is ages for them) but didn't formally grade or charge for that which is fine imo.

Well yeah it does depend on the individual school but from my experience in UK TKD, more and more are using the striped belts rather than tape which'll set you back about a fiver for the belt itself. I'd be a bit miffed if all I got was electrical tape but again it depends what the grading fee covers (it's not just the belt!). I think £25 is what my instructor changes but for that you get your money's worth. Even at colour belt level you're grading in front of a panel of 4+ blackbelts. He hires out a hall for the whole day and then you turn up in groups of about 4-5 for an allotted time slot and get grilled for between 30 mins - 1 hr depending on grade. The grading fee also covers all breaking material you use and you get a nice certificate if you pass.

ShotokanMaster
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate Do,american kenpo karate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Belt tests...too often. Reply with quote

we only pay 20 bucks on each test but i dont know how much is a black belt test well iim testing on dec 8 so ill see how much we gonna be but i know its 20

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
The prices of the promotions ($30) aren't outrageous, and neither is the yearly cost ($105/month) for most martial arts schools in America. The $400 cost of the black belt exam IS very high, and charging for stripes is ridiculous. This school is obviously a commercial school, doing everything they can to get as much money as possible out of people--following what Fang provided, it will cost you a total of $5860 to earn your black belt, provided you pass every exam.

Here is the important question: Is the quality of instruction and the knowledge learned at the school good quality and effective?

Everyone sees the money going in there. Yeah, some seems questionable, like with the stripes, but, no one is asking if the instruction is good and if the curriculum is reliable.

I would pay a bit extra if the school is that good. Especially since it takes a bit of money to keep good schools around, for the most part.

odz224
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also think this is quite ridiculous as we only grade when we ready, not by time ... i trained for 1 year 9 month to move from 10th Kyu to 8th Kyu .. 1 1/2 year to 5th Kyu .. today is my graduation day

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly are making a tidy sum off of each student.

For our Kyokushin tests, the fee is $5 to replace your belt. That's all we really pay.

eddien134
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: testing fees Reply with quote

i charge testing fees, but if they do not pass they get a refund.
i explain to everyone that comes in the doors before they sign up understand there is extra costs to martial arts.
belt testings sparring gear weapons.
and no one is surprised by anything and 99 percent of the time people still sign up.
i only test people when they are ready to i pretest them for free and if they press the issue of testing before they are ready i charge 25 non refundable.
all my student know this and there is no issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: