Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my gi off ebay. Middle weight Century gi brand new sealed in the plastic bag for 27 bucks plus free shipping (less if you're smaller than I am-- the smaller the size the cheaper they're selling the gis). The free shipping made it one of the cheapest gis I could find on the internet since most martial arts stores are charging almost ten bucks for shipping. The only thing I didn't like about the Century gi was the white belt it came with, which was paper thin. I ended up stealing my aunt's old white belt since we're the same size and she had a nice thick belt (and already broken in-- can't beat that). If you want to look at them, just search "size (whatever you are) karate uniform" on ebay and look for the ones with free shipping.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Kamikaze wrote:
What's the difference between middle weight gi and heavy weight gi and what's all about these categories (8 oz, 12 oz, 14 oz)?I've also seen these categories in boxing gloves. Is there something to do with how durable and tough the gi is?

These numerical weights refer to the weight of the fabric per square meter or square yard. A heavier weight gi will usually be thicker, but also often denser. This means a 16 oz gi won't usually be twice as thick as an 8 oz gi. It might be 1.4 times as thick and 1.4 times as dense for example.

As mentioned, heavier gis are more durable than lighter gis in general, but there's a lot more to quality than just how thick the material is. The stitching is also very important.

Is the OP's location Greece... the country? If so, options will be different than for us in the States.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: