Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some great knockouts, DWx. One thing I have to say, though: "get your freakin' hands up, guys!"

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Those are some great knockouts, DWx. One thing I have to say, though: "get your freakin' hands up, guys!"

I know I see that in every single TKD tournament...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having those hands up around your head can make a big difference.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it irritates me so much. That and the falling over after the technique.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Yeah it irritates me so much. That and the falling over after the technique.

I agree here, too. They are always falling over because they are leaning back to throw their kicks.

Bushido-Ruach
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Self-defense MMA

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I like about Aikido techniques, they are mainly for defense (depending upon whether you are training in traditional or combat Aikido). You aren't attacking anyone, therefore you never have to worry about the opponent having his hands up in the air to protact his head, because if you are only waiting for an attack, he is either going to attack you or go home...and if he attacks.......man! that arms ALL MINE!

Once I got the arm......well, let me not go crazy here! I think the best self defense techniques begin with one's blocking / cleansing applications. If you utilize "stop-hit" type blocks (like we do), your opponent punches (or kicks) and pulls back his natural weapon all bruised up and in pain. You don't have to break it in order to inflict great pain, especially if you have some pressure point tactics in your arsenal.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn or anything, but I have rarely had to go more than 10 seconds with someone simply because a well-placed shot (and not necessarily a power shot, just an anatomy-articulated one) made my attacker realize that if he should continue in his folly, he would end up with the short end of the stick.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushido-Ruach wrote:
This is what I like about Aikido techniques, they are mainly for defense (depending upon whether you are training in traditional or combat Aikido). You aren't attacking anyone, therefore you never have to worry about the opponent having his hands up in the air to protact his head, because if you are only waiting for an attack, he is either going to attack you or go home...and if he attacks.......man! that arms ALL MINE!

This is one strategy that I don't care for; waiting for an attack. If I feel like an attack is eminent, then I will act first.

With that said, I do think that the ideals behind Aikido can still be used to this same end. I don't work much with pressure points, but you still have lots of options if you can control a limb.

doug_kissaki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kissaki Kai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Self-Defense Techniques Reply with quote

Johnlogic121 wrote:
In the style of Karate I study, we focus on combat techniques that are generally illegal to apply in normal self-defense scenarios. ... What kinds of methods do you use when you don't want to go to jail or prison for permanantly incapacitating someone? Any thoughts?

My instructor travels world-wide giving seminars to law enforcement agencies. They need to be concerned with this very thing. A police officer can not use deadly force on a suspect who might take a swing at them or be trying to get away.

To that end, he focuses a lot of time in these seminars and in self defense classes as well as in our regular karate training on the use of vital points on the body. These are not the typical points you may be familiar with (groin, nose, knee, etc).

In fact, he has recently released a book called The Secret Art of Pressure Point Fighting

Here is an overview taken from th back cover of the book (printed with the author's permission)

Quote:
Martial arts lore tells of master who possessed a mysterious ability to defeat an opponent with a single perfectly placed blow. The Secret Art of Pressure Point Fighting transforms the ancient legend into a modern reality - an anatomically based fighting and self-defense system that allows a smaller defender to defeat a larger attacker by striking at the key points on his body.

Straightforward and easy to understand, The Secret Art of P{ressure Point Fighting provides a complete overview of the body's vulnerable points and teaches how to stop an attacker as quickly as possible using a minimal amount of physical strength.

I train with the man all the time and still found the book very useful.

If anyone is interested in the book, it is available on his website...

http://www.kissakikai.com/shop.php

www.kissakikai.com

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a little more difficult to kill someone than to simply punch them in the throat with your knuckle and expect them to fall over.

Alot of stock is invested in some of these techniques, which are overused by "self defense instructors." Women know by grammar school that boys dont like getting hit in the groin, that getting poked in the eye hurts, and that biting someone hurts them, yet thousands of rapes still occur every year.

So whats a good self defense technique? Its not always an attack.

Learning how to get up from your back- stand up in base.

Sprawling to avoid takedowns and crude tackles.

Standing and prone headlock escapes.

As to which techniques you want to use to incompacitate someone without being put in jail/prison- Chokeholds are quite effective, and do no permanent damage to your attacker. Body shots are also good alternatives, say a thai clinch followed by some knees to the gut, or a solid hook to liver. Face shots stand a better chance of you hurting yourself (bone on bone hand breaks) and your attacker (broken bones, such as a nose, becomes more than a simple assault)

ElShaft
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shoto-Budo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good joint lock that allows you to control their movements would be best because...

1) You can disarm/deflate your opponent through the pain caused by the lock

2) Stop your opponent from getting at you again

3) Control where your opponent falls as you dont want people hitting their head on concrete as that could easily kill them and end up with you responsible for their death
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: