Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I am a big proponent of the strike-before-lock methodology. We train that all the time in Combat Hapkido. My Aikido class doesn't, but I do get inclined to mix one in from time to time.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awareness and avoidance. Being aware of your surroundsingsand avoiding places where there could be trouble eliminates a large percentage ofself defense situations

Boualem Bouderba
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Karate Self Defense Reply with quote

For self defense it all depends upon the attack you have to defend against.

Normally you are only meant to counter and block an attack, you should not inflict pain on your opponent.

However, if your attacker is using a weapon then you can use a more aggressive defensive move to stop the attack and prevent any further attacks.

Always remember to block a knife attack with the outer forearm as opposed to the inner forearm as damages to your wrist and hand can be more severe if you are hit on the inner side of your arm.

All in all the best defense is to predict the attack beforehand and if possible avoid it rather than going into trouble. (if all else fails you can use your training to outrun the opponent) - just kidding.

best regards
Boualem Bouderba

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Karate Self Defense Reply with quote

Boualem Bouderba wrote:
For self defense it all depends upon the attack you have to defend against.

Normally you are only meant to counter and block an attack, you should not inflict pain on your opponent.

I disagree. This is a good way to get hurt really bad. Waiting to counter is a bad idea, as you are basing your defense off their action. Action is faster than reaction. There are some people out there that seem like they can always anticipate what someone is going to do, but they are the exception rather than the rule, and probably have many, many more years of training than the average Martial Artist out there. Telling someone they have to wait for an attack before defending is a good way to get a lot of students hurt. Giving someone the opportunity to attack first is like letting them hit first. You may not always be fast enough to counter that first blow, and then you spend the rest of the fight trying to play catch-up, that is, if you haven't fallen down and fallen asleep.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second bushidoman here. Aggression, that's the best defense. Get "defense" out of your mind. Think instead of counter an attack with attack.

Additionally, I don't take force out of the equation ever. Nor to I consider if I want to hurt this guy or not, I focus on controlling the situation. That mean's I'll use any amount of force needed to achieve that. Not more, but as much as it takes. Hence, injury will occur basedo n how hard he makes be work to attain control.

rmurray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get hung up overthinking the legality of your technique. Or calculating 10% more force. If you're truly in a self defense situation than you need to come out with your best stuff and fight as hard as you can until the threat goes to zero. If you are a law abiding citizen and it truly was a self defense situation you won't be in any trouble. Your extended knuckle fist probably isn't going to kill a guy as easily as you think anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: