Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of just how many black belts we do have as members here and from what area of Karate they practice but because I now have my black belt, I must always perform techniques properly, no matter how tired I am. Just a little added stress. We as black belts should never just go through the motions of performing a technique or pattern, we must always execute techniques and patterns with precision, power, and enthusiasm.
A great public misconception is that all black belt holders are experts. This is understandable since the public's knowledge of the martial arts comes mostly from motion pictures and television. This is compounded by the fact that some novice black belt holders advertise themselves as experts, and, eventually, even convince themselves they are experts.
First degree black belt (first dan) is only the beginning of another stage in the training of a Taekwondo student. Until this point, the student has merely been building a foundation. It will be many years before the final structure is completed. The job of building the structure lies ahead, but, if a firm foundation has been laid, the building process will be less difficult

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-01-06 16:32 ]

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere many years ago that a black belt could now call themselves an "advanced beginner"

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...that is actually how I feel ....

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-05 09:42, TKD_McGee wrote:
After you achieve your black belt or you have determined how high you are going to go with Martial Arts then what do you do?

Everybody starts in the martial arts for one reason or another (Self-defense, fitness, self-esteem, meeting new friends, help the community, get a black belt, etc, etc, etc.) after a while those reasons may change.

For example... when you were younger, think of your favorite toy and how cool you thought it was. Nothing could be better! Then picture yourself in High school. People are looking forward to driving, getting cars and hanging out. Now compare your favorite toy, that you had back in the day, to getting the hottest new clothes or a new car. What sounds better if you were in High School, that favorite toy you had when you were younger or the car?

This example may be a bit extreme, but what I am trying to get at is that they are both good depending on where you are in life... values change. That's alright, it's nothing to freak about. Martial arts are the same way. All styles of martial arts have so much to offer a person and what you want now may not be the same later on down the road.

I asked myself that same question a while back. I thought about why I started in the arts and then I thought about what else (besides that first reason) I've gained from the arts.

Hope this helps a little.
Take care.

[ This Message was edited by: Chris from CT on 2002-01-07 06:58 ]

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good thing to do is to strap on a white-belt and start training in other systems. Always learn and grow. If you aren't growing, you're dying.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the phrase "advanced beginner".

I have to agree with Kickchick in that when I but my belt on now I feel like I have to do the absolute best I can. That doing anything less would be a "dishonor" to my belt. I have pretty much almost allways trained to the best of my abilities but now I really feel an obligation to do my best. To do my best or not put the belt on.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all well and good for those who have acquired their black belts and feel that 1st degree is enough for them. It really is just the beginning. There are 9 degrees you can attain in TKD. Who is to say you cannot crosstrain and still train within your black belt area to achieve an even more higher degree?
First degree black belts have attained a certain required level of proficiency. With a basic understanding of the concepts and principles of motion and power, they have become formidable fighters, both defensively and offensively. However, these technical skills are greater than their teaching ability, so teaching experience is essential to further progress. Help someone else learn and grow as you did.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be a very humbling experience to teach white belts. The techniques you thought you knew how to do sometimes seem so very difficult when you try to explain them to someone else. When I taught white belts I think I learned more than they did.

Doing a review kata with an underbelt can also be humbleing when they notice something you are doing that just doesn't look right. The simpleist things can become the most difficult when trying to help someone who is really having a problem.

I don't think I will ever forget what it felt like the first time I had a group of kids looking at me on their first class.

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you train long enough with your black belt on, the color will eventually fade to almost white thus beginning the process all over again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ramcalgary I wore my 1st kyu belt long enough it changed color. Actually it was kind of falling apart.

Coming up through the kyu grades advancing into the next grade was really exiting. All the new techniques - and the new kata. Now there are still so many things out there that were restricted to the black belts that I am able to start.

I find I think much more carefully now when I am asked questions. As long as it sometimes takes me to really get the hang of new things I see a long future of learning ahead of me. Just there waiting to be grabbed.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: