Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you achieve your black belt or you have determined how high you are going to go with Martial Arts then what do you do?

It is always fun to stay and take lessons with the people you have become friends with over the years..

Younger people tend to forget their teachings after 3 years or so.. (Thats why I tend to be against kids in Martial Arts)..

Other people say once a black belt always a black belt... If you keep good notes and pamphlets from each level you could potentially stay a black belt forever if you continued to practice daily.

I recently purchased a CD with all the TKD kicks, punches, blocks, and forms on it from 10th gup to 1st dan. I think this is highly useful for me to remember what I have been taught for the future..

What do you plan on doing after you go your furthest? ( After black or 3rd degree... )

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training does not end with a black belt! The black belt simply signifies great knowledge of all basic techniques. Being a black belt is a forever thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Aikidoka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tomiki Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japanese budo, the black belt only signifies that the practitioner has learnt the basics, and may now begin truly learning the art.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akidoka is right. My teacher stresses the fact that once we achieve that rank of black belt we may start our true training. Also when you say that a martial art can be forgotten. I don't belive that this is true. Martial arts not only highten your ability to defend yourself. They get you fit, teach confidence, and build self-esteem.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I think once you get a Black belt it's time for you to train harder too push yourslef too your limits and training for Compititions you can enter

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think all that "Black belt is only the begining" -- "Karate is forever" stuff is very much a trick to keep you in it. Of course being a black belt does not mean much, but after you've been in a certain martial arts for say six or seven years the improvements you make over the time you put in decreases dramatically (I don't know this from my own experience but I have heard from others and it seems very logical). When you reach a point such as this it is not always clever to just blindly follow the "Train forever" philosophies. It might be time to stop training formally and just do your own routenes and do something else with your time (something that will improve your body in larger chunks proportional to the time you put in), perhaps a different martial art if you have not cross trained before.

My take.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

dreamer38f
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that BB is only the beginning. Could this be part of the reasoning behind the saying...once a martial artist always a martial artist.

This is also the level at which people start exploring other Arts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard many people say that obtaining your 1st degree black belt is actually the very first step!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The founder of Judo, Jigoro Kano, created the rank system used by almost all modern martial arts. The black belt was the first rank he created to signify completion of the first step of training, and it was the first time a belt rank was awarded in martial arts. At the time it replaced the traditional scrolls or diplomas used in older martial arts. Essentially it was a symbol of a student's graduation to another step in training.

...so all in all, Yes it is the very first step! (but what a giant step it is!)

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An often debated topic. From here I train to the best of my ability as long as I can.

And the things I think I have done so many times allready begin to show things to me I have never seen before. I continue to see more things that I could be doing better. And I begin to see how to get there.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: