Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some of the tekki katas I was thinking about whether they could actually be done from horseback, and wondered had anyone invented a bicycle version?

What would you put in a "road rage" kata?

You'd have to do a lot of side kicks and moves on one leg, but say if you had the right leg down as if at the nadir of the pedalling cycle, the other leg would be in the zenith position (and thus raised nicely for kicking moves!!) and you'd have to keep one hand on the imaginary handlebars whilst using the other. Ypu could even put in a swinging weapns bit if you grabbed the imaginary bicycle pump or D-lock!

Anyone got any good ideas in this flight of fancy?!!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we replace the Kia with the honking of hte horn. LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Gloi
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 1st dan Shotokan, 1st kup TKD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm now let's try it..... what do I do when I want to cross the legs over - do I make the horse go sideways. It always cracks me up when they call it a horse riding stance - to be in that position it would have to be one fat horse Elephant riding stance perhaps.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets's not forget going into kosa dachi (crossing the legs) can indicate taking a turn. So if you want to do a bicycle kata don't cross your legs just turn.
Any kicks in a bicycle kata would pretty much have to be done to a low level or you fall off your bike.

Tekki done from horse back one of the myths of karate. It is just a term used to describe the position of the feet.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, yeah, why out of all the animal named forms and stances in eastern martial arts, is this one (horse stance) the one people have to take literally...

Historically, mounted combat usually also involved fairly long range weapons - bows, lances, at worst long-swords, sabres, great maces.

Besides, that "wave kick" or sweep avoidance or whatever, how do you do that? Kick in the horses ribs?

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you kick the horse as you jerk the reins it means go faste or turn here. LOL.

When yo cross your legs in the bike kata means you just got thrown from the seat across the middle bar. LOL. That is the only way you can stand. LOL...... I don't care to learn this kata I think.

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-04-27 20:15 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the returning wave kick is raising a knee to prepare for pushing away an attacker on another bike who wants to knock you over.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - I don't know about Ohio, but in London you would need something good against taxi drivers rather than other cyclists!

Seriously though, I know that horse stance ain't really about horses, but it just got me thinking that way. What sort of bike kata would you do? Mai-geri would be impractical but side kekome and keage might work, mawashi and reverse mawashi would annoy a cabbie's windscreens. PErhaps a few side age-ukes with a bear claw strike to follow....ooh, now how would I put it all together.....

LOL
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: