Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BoB bArr
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here...and I was wondering if I could have some help by reading some opinions on what martial arts would fit me best. I am planning on training in around 2...depending on price. I have a job and college to attend...but time still isn't a problem, I have most nights free. I am looking for a type of martial arts that is quick to the point...nothing for sport, or play, or even tournaments...something that will take an opponent to the ground quickly...and keep them there. Of course what I mean is that I'm not concerned about these moves being banned from tournament because they are not going to be used for that with me...they are going to be used purely for self defense. That is one of my classes I'd like to take...any ideas? The other I'm leaning towards ninjutsu...it seems like it teaches many aspects of martial arts, including weapons, stealth, standing fighting, and grappling...as well as meditation. I like that combination as it sounds very interesting and I think I will enjoy it...this is the school I will be attending...

http://www.chicago-ninjutsu.org/

as for the other fighting form, the one that is more lethal...more arm breaking and "other" breaking oriented...I do not know what is best. I would prefer to know that kind of stuff for the encounter I don't ever want to be faced with. Any dissuasions or encouragement in my choices would be thanked a lot! What do you think?

also...to add this in, I don't know if it matters...but I'm 19 years old...and I know that's late to start, some of my family keeps telling me it's TOO late...i just don't wanna believe them....just like I am trying not to believe them about them saying it's too late to start learning guitar, which I also just embarked on. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: BoB bArr on 2002-08-02 16:23 ]

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm well it sounds like you got alot on your plate...I would personally would find it rather overwhelming to begin to brand new styles at the same time....and if you look down the road as you progress through the ranks you will be expected to contribute and become more invovled in the dojo...you may run out of time and may have to sacrifice something....umm but if you are really keen on it I suppose it can be done. I don't really know of a style that is quick. In my expirence with Karate it is not something that can be learned in a year or two it requires a longer commitment. Take a look at the web site I will list below perhaps it will be of some help to you. The only thing I can think of in krav magna which was develeped by the isreali military but I am not too familar with that system....oh well check out the site good luck!!

http://home1.swipnet.se/budo/

I AM CANADIAN

justb
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Ninjitsu is a good example of a sogo bujitsu style art. Sogo styles tend to focus on a total development rather than individual focus. You learn some grappling, some percussion (karate), some weaponry, and how they interact. From there, you can expand in any way you want. The bonus is that usually they are designed to be learned quickly and efficiently - remember that in war, we don't have years to develop good battle skills. If you are looking for a sampler that's a good place to start.

I would be really cautious around Ninjitsu styles, seems to me that there tends to be a lot of inauthentic and/or unqualified people claiming proficiency and teaching in that area (very dangerous). Check out the school, if they don't make sense, you are probably right.

For reference, I train at Sei Shin Kan - http://www.seishinkan.com.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
B

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look into either Greco wrestling, Sambo or Brazilain Jiu Jitsu for taking an attacker to the ground and 'keeping them there'.

Another art to complement the grappling would be something like krav mega, muay thai or kickboxing.

These arts don't require a great deal of time to learn, should be relatively confident about defending yourself within a short period of time, depending on how often you train and how hard you train.

19 is NOT too old to start, I can't understand why people would say that. If you're serious about MA, you might want to look into some weights too.

Btw, what's your build like ?

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right Bob if you want a very strong stand up style that is fast to learn and is good for the street than you need to take muay tai.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

BoB bArr
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really looking to find something to learn quickly...just to put someone down quickly. I'm starting weights this coming school year (free membership at a fitness gym with tuition) I'm 6'1" and about 220 lbs...so not fat, but not thin. I have some tone in my arms and chest...pretty broad shoulders and neck and chest as well...I'd like to really tone up though, and maybe even develop some nicer stomach muscles. I'm not quite flexible, but I figure that MA will help me with that. The Ninjutsu class is $50 a month...so that's not bad at all...and so I might stick with that one. But I also found a place called "The Gracie JuJitsu" and it's $80 a month for unlimited training...I'm not sure if I wanna get into that, but isn't that the same thing as Brazillian JuJitsu? I like the idea of Muay Tai...so I think I'll look into that some more. Thanks guys!

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

If I were you, I would see if the two schools have an introductory class. If they do, take it!! If there are schools in your area teaching other arts, even if you don't think you're that interested, take those intro classes too! It's good just to compare teaching styles and the skills of the high belts in that school, the stuff they learn, the dojo equipment, etc. etc. Good luck on your search! If you have any questions about BJJ/GJJ, PM me or post in the Grappling forum!

Girls kick butt!

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah your family doesn't know diddley. I started formally when I was 26.

If you like that blend, you can take a Kuk Sool Won as well. You've got a really good school there in Chicago. Don't know if Patrick has the link working yet, so you can learn more at www.kuksoolwon.com. You can also find the location of the school in Chicago. It is not fast, though. There's no way to cram that many different aspects of a martial art in fast.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 19, you have most of your life ahead of you! It's a great time to get into MA. Try the intro classes and hang out afterwards. You can get the real feedback of a school from its students. Most are happy to talk to newcomers.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sort of hardcore Okinawan Kempo system would probably be good for breaking people quickly (and using pressure points all over the place in the process)... but I'm biased .
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: