Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
A former Sensei tried to justify his messing around with one of our female students by telling his wife that in feudal Japan it was common for a Samurai's wife to gift the Samurai with a young concubine...it didn't go over to well with the wife nor us students...

That's not unusual that's just wrong. He wouldn't be my teacher after that.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
That is just creepy as well as being morally, culturally and ethically wrong.

Amen.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
A college I used to work at had a judo club. Every semester, the sensei would take the class out to the parking lot and have them break fall and roll. New students would stay in the grass.

The first time I saw them I had no idea who they were and what they were doing, so I asked the guy in charge. He said “what are the chances they’ll get attacked inside a nice padded dojo? If they can’t do it out in the real world, there’s not much point in doing it at all.”

I like that teacher!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Man, I live a very boring life because I've never experienced any bizarre, strange, weird masters and training places.

Weird things happen in the movies. Meeting the secretive master hermit monk in the woods that takes you under his wing and teaches you the ultimate martial art that makes you the ultimate super secret monk kung fu ninja of the world only happens in the minds of movie makers and fraudulent hack instructors.

Just doesn't happen.

I guess that makes me boring too because nothing weird or unusual has ever happened to me.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
To Chunmonchek and JR...

Huh??

Just mentioning a reason why there is a disproportionate amount of weird/strange compared to some other activities.

Yet so far, nobody has mentioned that it's about a bunch of people of all ages and shapes and sizes getting together, in pyjamas, to get sweaty together, in pyjamas, beat the living daylights out of thin air, in pyjamas, shout about lot at nothing, and then get up close and personal and chuck each other about, in pyjamas.

Did I mention that we do all this, in our pyjamas.

Very funny.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
To Chunmonchek and JR...

Huh??

It was just a joke. It was analogy of looking around and trying to spot the weird guy and not seeing one, only to realize YOU’RE the weird one. It’s happened to me a few times, where I’m sitting there in a group and wondering “what’s the matter with these guys” when it dawns on my that they’re all probably saying “what’s the matter with HIM (me)?”

I tend to look at things from an odd angle and get a chuckle out of it.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
A college I used to work at had a judo club. Every semester, the sensei would take the class out to the parking lot and have them break fall and roll. New students would stay in the grass.

The first time I saw them I had no idea who they were and what they were doing, so I asked the guy in charge. He said “what are the chances they’ll get attacked inside a nice padded dojo? If they can’t do it out in the real world, there’s not much point in doing it at all.”

I like that teacher!

Everyone thought it was weird to see a guy tell a bunch of college students to throw themselves and roll around on the pavement, while the students were having fun with it. It looked pretty odd from the outsider perspective. Once I figured out what was actually going on, I thought it was pure genius. I would’ve loved to join, but the club met right smack in the middle of my work day. Absolutely busiest time of the work day for me too. I’ve always wanted to try judo and he seemed like the perfect guy to study under, not just because of that, but that tells you everything you need to know about his approach to it. Being in one of the toughest sections of NYC, literally the area where the movie A Bronx Tale was set, his highest priority was real world self defense. His students were all there for that too. And did I mention it was free for students and staff? The only requirements were you trained hard and were respectful. He was a very old school Japanese guy who had the strong presence, yet was very polite. I spoke with him many times and can’t for the life of me remember his name. To me, he was sensei. He’s one of those people that left a long lasting positive impression on me.

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was without a teacher for a while in 2003, I found this very reputable dojo in Houston, the sensei was above 6th Don or above in 3 different arts of Karate (shindo jenin ryu) ,Judo and Kendo . anyway he said that I need to start from the white belt which I did, after about a year, twice a week practicing with him, one day he asked about my name, I asked him how come he doesn't know my name. He said that he doesn't care till I become a Yudansha and my name goes on the wall. that was the last day I practiced with him.
I knew he was arrogant but he passed the line that day.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
To Chunmonchek and JR...

Huh??

It was just a joke. It was analogy of looking around and trying to spot the weird guy and not seeing one, only to realize YOU’RE the weird one. It’s happened to me a few times, where I’m sitting there in a group and wondering “what’s the matter with these guys” when it dawns on my that they’re all probably saying “what’s the matter with HIM (me)?”

AHHHH, Got it!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
To Chunmonchek and JR...

Huh??

I knew it was a joke, and I didn't take it personal at all. I've just never personally encountered face to face; just on line or read about it or someone told me about one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: