Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Thai_Kick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, JKD and Kali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: BJJ vs Shotokan Karate Video Reply with quote

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu stylist vs Shotokan Karate Black Belt, it's a $600.00 challenge match, check it out!
http://www.mcdojo.com/dl_info.asp?id=64

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.................

Not so good for shotokan there, but very entertaining.

Take Care.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... I suppose this is one case where a "Vs." is allowable since it's a REAL matchup
Just as long as there is no bickering afterwards!

*takes a motherly tone*

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, the Shotokan fighter came in with his hands down and relatively stationary. He couldn't have made it any easier to shoot for the double leg. No knees, front kick, uppercuts, overhead elbows, just one tentative punch.

He must have been super tense. Kudos to him for getting in there though. And he hung in there against that armbar a pretty long time given he had no idea how to defend it.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing, he just ran into a BJJist, MADNESS!

Still a very entertaining video that I seem to always be watching. I dont know what know he was trying to achieve by that, its a game of distance and the Shotokan guy lost. Shame.

Take Care.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for a bit of fun, saying that you were in the place of the shotokan guy, with what YOU know what would you have done? Saying ofcourse that the BJJist took to same attack.

It would have taken alot for me to step on the mat with him, and its easy to say now what I would have done, knowing what the BJJer was going to do. But I would have taken the same technique that Sensei Shirata did when faced with the same attack, a back Ukemi, so basically looked like that move Ryu did in the street figher game. When as the BJJer came in, break fall backwards, put your foot in his groin and flip him over you. Pretty cool.

Take Care.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, hes only a shodan. All BB are not created equal. The guy just walked in with his hands down and tried to grapple a grappler. It is not playing to his strengths. Never go in with your hands down stay back advance cautiously and when he starts to shoot low for your legs kick him in the face then just keep striking and striking and strike some more it dont matter where just dont let him grab you. I used to be a wrestler and I still wouldnt want to roll around with these guys. If I were to grab any limb not grabbing would be attacking.

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, Karate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the karate guy did a big error, go direct to close distance with a grappler, he should keep a certain distance, closing distance with a grappler (if you don't grapple) you don't have any chance.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouwch. well nice try but i think he underestimated the art of ground fighting completly, i dont think i would have lasted long either but might have done better when he mounted the guy.

fungku
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: gong fu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but that Karate-dude was a complete fool.

He went in with one arm up as if it were to hold the BJJ guy back or actually grab him , and tried to punch him. The BJJ guy saw him move forward and just went under the arm. After that the karate-dude had no chance. (the karate-dude's initial punch was completely without power, direction purpose or a target)

It's liek he wanted to be beaten, the way he ran up to the BJJ guy like that = "Please take me down!"

I wouldn't want to fight an expert BJJ practicioner without sparring or training with them a bit. Even watching videos like this would help. To learn what to expect. I suspect that this guy did not do that, and if he did, he obviously didn't learn anything. Either way this makes him a fool

On another note the BJJ guy could've ended it a lot sooner. He could've done the armbar thing sooner than he did.... So well... he still kicked the kareate guy's * though.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: