Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jiffy
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balrog wrote:
Ah, but the big question is: what did you learn from that lesson?

I used to spar with a higher rank on a regular basis. He spent way too much time with his foot on top of my head. From that, I learned to not block with my face, and how to jam someone taller and take his legs away from him. Everything is a learning experience.

I'm not going to say good luck on your testing, because it wasn't luck that got you to this point. I'll just say this: have fun, do your best and strut your stuff!!

Couldn't have said it better myself... so I won't...

Do Well!

gensei
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shintani Wado Kai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am testing for shodan in April. And, I, too, am definitely in training mode. Unfortunately, due to a change in management where my dojo was last year, and my Sensei's and my schedules - he a director of a large security company here in Toronto, I a university student, I do not have much chance to train with others.
My biggest fear is that all of my training will be in vain. This summer I, again, was unable to train with my old Sensei (where my parents live, and I live during the school break) because of my work schedule. I have had 3 or 4 full, good classes with my Sensei here since then, but other than that it's all been me working out solo. I mean, I know I have the basics - but I fear I will miss something so fundamental it will bring embarrasment to my Sensei.
Anyways... I have to talk more with him, and figure out some more training times before April...let alone a tournament next weekend - because while I train in kata at least 45min/day (the length of time I can book a squash court), and take another half-hour in the gym doing strength training, I still feel unsure of my techniques.

Um....so....there's my life story I guess! hah.
I mean, I know I'm going to be nervous no matter what, and deep down, I know I'm ready, but....I guess we'll see when it all goes down in April.

So. There's my contribution, I guess.
Good luck to the others - I have no idea what your gradings consist of, but if they're anything like mine will be, it'll be pretty intense.

Timothy.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. Someday soon you will be the one doing the lesson teaching

jillsocci
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: PLEASE HELP! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm new to Karate forum. I am online looking for info on the cost of black belt test. Maybe you can help me? I have been training for 3 years in Tae Kwon Do and love my training. Along the way every test has been $50 - $60 but now I am ready to test for my black belt and I find out from a classmate that the BB test is $6000 yes six thousand dollars. When I ask my Masters they kind of beat around the bush and then say that this is true. This seem WRONG to me. If this is the appropriate price then I stand corrected but even so don't you think they should mention this at some point in the last 3 years? At least so I can save? If you have any in fo or links that I may be able to show to them to tell them this is outrageous please let me know! Thanks!

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll bite...Come on, this has to be a joke....but...

I would pay $6000 to have the greatest of honors of being tested (or even having my kata corrected) by Matsumura, Itosu, Chibana, Toyama or even Koyasu and to me it would be well worth the cost. Note; that only one of those on the list is still alive...at least I hope that he is still doing well. I suppse knowing who you master is might make a difference...I suppose. It would not be for the test itself but for the high honor of being tested by by a great master... and I'm talking great here not your normal modern day master level black belt. Take the $6000 and find another school/style and use the rest of the money on some worth while charity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: