Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black belt means....

A grown man with real life experience feels really worried about the big headed young kid he's bowing to knowing that said young black belt is going to get the shock of his life the first time he gets caught up in a genuine hostile situation.

Melau
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 12 years (I was 17 at the time) I was finally old enough to go for Shodan (we have an age limit here, Netherlands). It felt good to have gotten an official recognition for hard work. However, even back then I've seen it as an 'stepping stone' kind off experience, a milestone so to speak.

I was lucky enough to have very experienced budoka's around me, teachers that never stopped being students. This made sure that I understood that it's was just a first step of many, that being a Shodan means you essentially covered / understood the basics.

It's good to have intermediate goals in your MA career. It keeps you motivated maybe, or it is just a good way of getting feedback from all the hard work! But the road will never stop, luckily!

Gichin Funakoshi

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally proud of it. It represents, as so many have said, a degree of work and effort. That's it. There's no reason to denigrate it or exalt it. I'm proud of it for what it says I've committed to and done.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Totally proud of it. It represents, as so many have said, a degree of work and effort. That's it. There's no reason to denigrate it or exalt it. I'm proud of it for what it says I've committed to and done.

Too true. The belt represents you not the other way around.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick to adult black belts that didn't quit as soon as they made 1rst dan- they get my respect and admiration because, regardless of style or even particular aptitude, they stuck with it.

For myself, the dan ranks I've earned represent achievement milestones in life, and I'd like to think, reflect what kind of person I am.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzKicker wrote:
I'll stick to adult black belts that didn't quit as soon as they made 1rst dan- they get my respect and admiration because, regardless of style or even particular aptitude, they stuck with it.

For myself, the dan ranks I've earned represent achievement milestones in life, and I'd like to think, reflect what kind of person I am.

Great point and a sad truth. Most do quit as if that was the pinnacle of their training and as if there is nothing further to learn.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Belt Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
What does it mean to you?

A great source of stress, anxiety, sleepless nights and even depression.

I promised myself that I wouldn't be swept up by the idea of achieving a black belt; I would train to the best of my ability, regardless of rank. And for the most part, I've done just that. I have everything but two drills memorized that is required for all color belts (and I'm still just a sankyu). I even managed to pick up two black belt katas from a seminar last year.

However, after three years of my scrawny body getting put through the ringer three times a week, the mileage is starting to show. Training now is causing me a great deal of stress because I've lost the enthusiasm I had a few years ago. It feels like I'm just hanging on for that mystical belt and certification.

I've also found out that I'm not fond of teaching. I mean, I enjoy helping anyone who asks for my help (and I'm honored that those people approach me) but teaching kids with ADD can be a nightmare sometimes. My trips to the dojo used to be a way for me to get away from my stressful life, but now that luxury is gone.

Finally, the black belt can be a symbol of oppression at times. What I mean by that is some Yudansha feel it's taboo for a colored belt to learn anything higher than their grade. Some of the more open-minded black belts don't mind, but whenever I practice Gojushiho (our first Shodan kata), I get a few stinkeyes. In many cases, I feel I'm ready to start training more advanced drills or forms, but the belt system makes that almost impossible. My favorite thing about seminars is fact that I can jump into a group of black belts and have the ability to train like one, regardless of my colored obi.

All I've ever wanted to do from the very beginning was learn Karate, but the unfortunate reality is that I wont get that luxury until I make Shodan. I'm now in a rut to where I'm going to have to wait another grueling 2 and 1/2 years just to get that simple desire. I think the most depressing thing is I might be another one of those students who'll quit after I make it to shodan, because the journey was so arduous that I'll have absolutely nothing left.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it means a fundamental question, a desire to understand its true nature, much like the original post in this topic.

Certain very legit martial arts schools (no mcdojos) don't have full contact training. They have sparring, but it's either point sparring or "real" sparring with mid contact and protective gear. I am in the latter kind of school. I am in martial arts to develop technique, execute the kata and drills flawlessly and to be competent at kumite.

But I am not sure whether that can make a "black belt". I am a year away from getting my black belt, if everything goes well, but I don't feel like I am a much better fighter than I was before my journey. Certainly not "OMG he is a black belt, don't mess with him!" better, but that is not why I started this journey too.

What are your thoughts?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Belt Reply with quote

Struggling_Mudansha wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
What does it mean to you?

A great source of stress, anxiety, sleepless nights and even depression.

I promised myself that I wouldn't be swept up by the idea of achieving a black belt; I would train to the best of my ability, regardless of rank. And for the most part, I've done just that. I have everything but two drills memorized that is required for all color belts (and I'm still just a sankyu). I even managed to pick up two black belt katas from a seminar last year.

However, after three years of my scrawny body getting put through the ringer three times a week, the mileage is starting to show. Training now is causing me a great deal of stress because I've lost the enthusiasm I had a few years ago. It feels like I'm just hanging on for that mystical belt and certification.

I've also found out that I'm not fond of teaching. I mean, I enjoy helping anyone who asks for my help (and I'm honored that those people approach me) but teaching kids with ADD can be a nightmare sometimes. My trips to the dojo used to be a way for me to get away from my stressful life, but now that luxury is gone.

Finally, the black belt can be a symbol of oppression at times. What I mean by that is some Yudansha feel it's taboo for a colored belt to learn anything higher than their grade. Some of the more open-minded black belts don't mind, but whenever I practice Gojushiho (our first Shodan kata), I get a few stinkeyes. In many cases, I feel I'm ready to start training more advanced drills or forms, but the belt system makes that almost impossible. My favorite thing about seminars is fact that I can jump into a group of black belts and have the ability to train like one, regardless of my colored obi.

All I've ever wanted to do from the very beginning was learn Karate, but the unfortunate reality is that I wont get that luxury until I make Shodan. I'm now in a rut to where I'm going to have to wait another grueling 2 and 1/2 years just to get that simple desire. I think the most depressing thing is I might be another one of those students who'll quit after I make it to shodan, because the journey was so arduous that I'll have absolutely nothing left.

There are so many things I want to address in your post;

1. "A great source of stress, anxiety, sleepless nights and even depression."
2. "Training now is causing me a great deal of stress because I've lost the enthusiasm I had a few years ago. It feels like I'm just hanging on for that mystical belt and certification."
3. "Finally, the black belt can be a symbol of oppression at times."
4. "In many cases, I feel I'm ready to start training more advanced drills or forms, but the belt system makes that almost impossible. My favorite thing about seminars is fact that I can jump into a group of black belts and have the ability to train like one, regardless of my colored obi."
5. "My favorite thing about seminars is fact that I can jump into a group of black belts and have the ability to train like one, regardless of my colored obi."
6. "All I've ever wanted to do from the very beginning was learn Karate, but the unfortunate reality is that I wont get that luxury until I make Shodan."

No disrespect intended but you are not a Shodan. I understand that you feel like your at that level but it's obvious your instructor does not feel the same or they would have already given you the grade.

IMHO you are missing the point altogether. The Mudansha grades are a chance for you to learn the basics. The foundation to all principles, theories, techniques, movements and applications that you will learn beyond that point. This is a typical problem I have seen since I first started teaching. Everyone wants to skip over the most important time in training to get to a belt.

Forget about the belt. If you do not master the basics that belt will literally mean nothing. To me it sounds like your in a hurry to achieve something that in your mind obviously means you've arrived.

My 2 cents is slow down and enjoy your time and learn all you can. Fast forwarding to BB just means you get to wear a black piece of cloth that will mean nothing. Concentrate on perfection of the basic skills and the basic Kata and the belt will come and more importantly have meaning other than a piece of cloth.

You say all you ever wanted to do is learn Karate and you can't do that until Shodan.

This makes no sense. There is a reason that everyone starts at the beginning and works up from there. You have to learn to walk before you can run. It's not personal and everyone has to go through it. There are lessons that you will learn beyond memorizing a bunch of techniques. This takes time and can not be fast forwarded. The lessons do not come from a manual, they come from constant practice.

Your not a Shodan and that is why your not treated as one. Your Sensei doesn't teach you advanced Kata because your not at an advanced level yet.

There is a reason why it takes the time that it does. You have to mature both physically and mentally. If I taught you advanced principles and techniques you wouldn't grasp them fully. Because of this you have to first understand the basics and the lessons that they teach you. Not just being able to memorize and perform them but know them and understand them.

Just because you know a few cords doesn't mean you understand how they fit together nor how to make them sound like music. If you quit learning after knowing a few cords, yes you can strum your guitar but you're never going to be Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Les Paul or anyone else that paid their dues to become great. You can't reach to those heights because you skipped past the most important lessons.

Hopefully you understand what I am saying. Spend time trying to understand the lessons found in learning the basics. They give you a foundation to build from and eventually you will have the many ah ha moments when you suddenly realize what was once not apparent. This will never happen if you skip past these lessons.

Advanced Kata is like all other Kata. They all have lessons to teach the practitioner. One does not hold all of the secrets which is why you learn them all. Again all in due time.

Slow down and stop stressing about a belt. The belt is just another beginning. If you truly feel you'll quit after receiving the belt you might as well quite and just go buy yourself a BB now because again you will have missed the point altogether. It's a LIFE long journey. Three years is literally a drop in the bucket and Shodan is not the end of the journey but a beginning.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:
To me it means a fundamental question, a desire to understand its true nature, much like the original post in this topic.

Certain very legit martial arts schools (no mcdojos) don't have full contact training. They have sparring, but it's either point sparring or "real" sparring with mid contact and protective gear. I am in the latter kind of school. I am in martial arts to develop technique, execute the kata and drills flawlessly and to be competent at kumite.

But I am not sure whether that can make a "black belt". I am a year away from getting my black belt, if everything goes well, but I don't feel like I am a much better fighter than I was before my journey. Certainly not "OMG he is a black belt, don't mess with him!" better, but that is not why I started this journey too.

What are your thoughts?

To the bold - I'll just say that if you are a year away from testing for Shodan and you have not improved since you have started there is something wrong.

Not talking about you personally. If you have been training for "x" number of years and have not improved substantially and gained confidence in your abilities to defend yourself they is something missing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: