Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Even those with a Master's in Education start at a entry level, and no higher until it's appropriate to do so. To assume a position that one doesn't officially possess is an act of disrespect for said position and for those who've truly earned it.

Without the White Belt, NO OTHER BELT EXISTS, NOR SHOULD IT!! Wearing the White Belt carries the same respect as a Black Belt because they each have its own value; none less valued than another.

Do you treat the White Belt differently than the Black Belt?? If so, then honor has been swept aside for status.

Imho!!

Solid post! I couldn’t say it better if I tried.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Even those with a Master's in Education start at a entry level, and no higher until it's appropriate to do so. To assume a position that one doesn't officially possess is an act of disrespect for said position and for those who've truly earned it.

Without the White Belt, NO OTHER BELT EXISTS, NOR SHOULD IT!! Wearing the White Belt carries the same respect as a Black Belt because they each have its own value; none less valued than another.

Do you treat the White Belt differently than the Black Belt?? If so, then honor has been swept aside for status.

Imho!!

Treating equally and the same aren’t the same thing. You treat all students with equal respect and dignity, regardless of rank, so long as they’re worthy of that respect and dignity. And that respect and dignity starts at day one and doesn’t waver until they’ve acted in a way to revoke it. How long they’ve been there and their abilities have nothing to do with it.

I say you absolutely treat the yudansha differently than the kyus. You treat everyone differently than each other. Why? Because they’re individual human beings who have different strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, etc. Not everyone learns the same way, and not everyone’s motivated the same way.

Furthermore, the longer someone’s been around, the better you know them. Quite possibly the more they’ve done for you and you’ve done for them. If you expect different things from them, you should treat them differently.

But that doesn’t mean you treat anyone like garbage. That doesn’t mean anyone gets treated in a lesser manner until they’ve somehow proven themselves. Everyone should be extended equal respect until they earn more or earn less.

Equal and same aren’t the same thing.

Just my opinion.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Imho!!

Treating equally and the same aren’t the same thing. You treat all students with equal respect and dignity, regardless of rank, so long as they’re worthy of that respect and dignity. And that respect and dignity starts at day one and doesn’t waver until they’ve acted in a way to revoke it. How long they’ve been there and their abilities have nothing to do with it.

I say you absolutely treat the yudansha differently than the kyus. You treat everyone differently than each other. Why? Because they’re individual human beings who have different strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, etc. Not everyone learns the same way, and not everyone’s motivated the same way.

Furthermore, the longer someone’s been around, the better you know them. Quite possibly the more they’ve done for you and you’ve done for them. If you expect different things from them, you should treat them differently.

But that doesn’t mean you treat anyone like garbage. That doesn’t mean anyone gets treated in a lesser manner until they’ve somehow proven themselves. Everyone should be extended equal respect until they earn more or earn less.

Equal and same aren’t the same thing.

Just my opinion.

Solid post, JR!!

In my post, I'm referring to rank status, and not to the individual human being.

Therefore, I do not, and will not treat my students, nor the SKKA Student Body, differently rank wise. For me to do so, means that rank is paramount over anything and everything. Rank doesn't mean that that rank is above the law just because of its status.

I see students, never ranks because they, to me, are distinctly different, whereas, the value of the students betterment is far paramount to rank, any rank. That's one of the reasons why we moved away from rank identifiers some time ago because the emphasis must be on the student, and never on the rank.

Sure, students wear different ranks in class for simplification reasons, however, not for status because to do that, places certain ranks on a pedestal and other ranks at the foot of said pedestal, and that's unwarranted.

By my ranks and by my titles, I'm not more important than those who aren't of my ranks and titles. Yes, we've formality for certain formal occasions, to be for sure. However, outside of those formal settings, I do not see rank...just students. Outside of these formal settings, I'm just Bob; nothing more, nothing less.

Why?? Well, proof is on the floor!!

Imho!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: