Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shukokai2000
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: shukokai shito-ryu ... boxing/kick boxing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: blackbelt register Reply with quote

Just wondering, should there be some sort os gov body to keep track of proffessional blackbelts, as i have witnessed some schools, to which there are like 4th Dan instructors that only about 20 years old, not wearing gi's just tracksuits. with names like new freesstyle karate .. i'm not knocking all freestyle but i'm sure some are not properly trained instructors from my witnessed point of view.

MartialArthur
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already a number of governing bodies. Most styles have organizations and associations that govern ranks and promotions. Since every style and every organization is different and has different standards and requirements, this is the way it should be.

Of course their are good orgs and bad ones. It is up to the student to do a little research before joining a program. While many instructors who are not in an organization are excellent, they may be harder to research.

If someone who was not qualified as an instructor wants to open up a dojo, I would imagine he would do it as an independent or find some poor organization without high standards.

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there should be organizations to govern these types of martial artists, but I do have to say, it amazes me to what is being considered as Martial Arts anymore. Just my opinion I guess (and we all know what opinions are worth )

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Hwa-Rang TKD, ITF, ATA TKD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaymac wrote:
I don't know if there should be organizations to govern these types of martial artists, but I do have to say, it amazes me to what is being considered as Martial Arts anymore. Just my opinion I guess (and we all know what opinions are worth )

Yup, two cents......

TMA's are run by orgs, if not actual orgs (WTF, ATA, ITF) then business orgs (NAPMA, MAIA). It's the way of the world.

And should we have a government agency running the MA's like it runs itself, believe me, you don't want that. Just look into the S. Korean TKD scandle. Corruption.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu said government body...nope. No way. Sorry

MartialArthur
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, he said "gov body" which could have two very different meanings:

Governing body (i.e. an org) - fine, i think there are already some good ones.

Government body - No Way! I agree with patusai on this. The government doesn't do very many things well. Like most government agencies, we would be talking burdensome regulations, too much administration, and high fees (or taxes). No thanks!

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many good large governing bodies. There are many good small ones too. However, I am afraid that this would turn into something political. The learning and ranking of karate does not need a grand governing body to grant rank or not...at least not at the lower dan levels which it all that it would end up doing.

However, they might want to take a look at the higher dan levels. Bottom line would be that if the higher dans all get together to announce a standardization it would not include restructuring and possibly reducing some high dan ranks from say 9th to 6th. It will turn into a high ranking old boy high dan level thing.

If there is the concern to restructure then we should start at the very top and move all of the way down. You know as well as I do that this will never happen. How many 10th dans in the USA are there anyhow. Perhaps someone should start a topic to list the 10th dans in the USA. If more people were on this forum I would imagine the list would be as long as all martial arts itself.

ki master
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: muay thai, kung fu, soo bak, ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really doesnt matter and it wouldnt make a different

Spirit At Choice
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Cuong Nhu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that as "governing body." I think it is the students responsibility to do the homework. If a black belt is not recognized by an existing governing body, then caveat emptor, my friend.
Rejoice and be glad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: