Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A block is a block regardless if it is a parry or a solid forarm block. They do the same thing in stopping the punch of kick from hitting you.

Pete

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All parries are blocks, however not all blocks are parries.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

searcher
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-ryu(Shorin and Shorei), Isshinryu, Hawaiian Kenpo, Judo, Ryukyu Kobudo Currently studying ITF TKD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, Goju ryu uses both open and closed hand blocks. In every style I have studied we have learned both. As for use it depends on the situation and the need at the time.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both good. Using closed hand strikes are more powerful espescially upper arm blocks where you leave the attacker open to a strike staright to the stomach which could quite easily kill them. Open blocks are used mainly for a counter attack of a non violant way of defeating the oppenant such as blocking grasp the arm and throw it over your body so he lands on his back immobolized, or jus a quick sweep works.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this turned into quite an interesting thread. Thanks again.

I've tried to use the closed fist blocks as taught during sparring, and they work just as well once I got the hang of it. The closed-fisters I've found can often lead into strikes in one movement. This is a "true parry" I think - I read about old sword fighting techniques and found that the "block" was always a sweeping parry which chambered the arm for the return strike in one motion.

Open handed "blocks" are presented to us as a way to, say, grab and rip down an opponents guard before striking. Hehe I like this stuff.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: