Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combat Karate, Kenpo,Jujitsu, and Boxing

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Blocks and evasions Reply with quote

Successful self-defense is often dependent upon your ability to defend against an initial assault. If you can avoid the initial attack, your chances of surviving the encounter increase by 30%. If you successfully defend against the initial assault (1st and 2nd attacks), the chance of your surviving the attack increases by 60%. Blocking and evading techniques are essential parts of this defense.

Now before I start my discussion on this subject, let me say that most of what I talk about comes from my American Kenpo and Special Operations Combat Karate backgrounds. If you want greater detail about blocks and evasions, read Grandmaster Edmund Parker's Infinite Insights into Kenpo. Both Grandmasters Parker and Kemp had a complete understanding of motion, and the principles involved in all aspects of the martial arts. They were/are especially knowledgeable about the dual use of blocks and evasions.

First I think that it would be appropriate to define what I mean when I say the words block and evasion. Blocks are primarily defensive moves that employ physical contact to catch, check, deflect, re-direct, stop, or destroy an offensive move. Evasions use footwork and body maneuvers to avoid or dodge an offensive move. Obviously by my definition blocks includes checks, and parries. I will go into greater detail when discussing various methods of blocking and evading attacks.

Blocks
Blocking techniques are not always simple to categorize, but most of them fit into one of these four categories: Striking, Parrying, Driving, and Specialized. I will discuss each category and their sub-categories.

Striking Blocks: are any block that is used to meet the force of an attack with force, with the intent of not only stopping the attacking action, but also causing damage or destroying the attacking weapon. Sub-categories of this type of block are hammering blocks, thrusting blocks, chopping blocks, attacking blocks, and intercepting blocks.

Hammering blocks are a particular form of striking block. The angle and direction of the block resembles the action of a hammer striking a nail. These blocks are done with a closed hand (hammer fist).
Thrusting blocks are blocks that go directly to the attacking weapon, without preparatory motions (such as chambering). These blocks rely on “point of origin” for their speed and effectiveness. Thrusting blocks can take the form of closed hand and open hand blocks, as well as forearm blocks.

Chopping blocks are blocks that use the open bladed part of the hand as its striking surface.

Attacking blocks are offensive techniques that are used as a defense (beating someone to the punch), either against an attacking weapon or to interrupt an opponent’s offensive move.

Intercepting blocks are blocks that disrupt, interrupt, or intercept an attack. Disruption occurs before the attack is launched, interruption happens during the launch of an attack, and interception occurs after the attack is launched and on it’s way to target.

Parrying Blocks: are blocks that re-direct, ride, and go with the force of your opponent's action. Because these block usually do not meet force with force, they generally do not cause damage to the attacking weapon, however, they usually cause a disruption in balance. Examples of this type of block are the basic parries and intercepting blocks.

Intercepting blocks that re-direct, ride, and go with the force of an attack. This is accomplished by the inward, outward and diagonal re-direction of the attacking force. Although these blocks are in the same family of the intercepting blocks of the above set, they generally do not cause physical damage, but cause a disruption of balance.

Sweeping block re-direct force by using slapping or sweeping motions. Again these blocks are generally non-impact (i.e. don’t cause damage). They do have the ability to cause balance disruption.

Driving Blocks: are blocks that are used to disrupt an opponent's balance. This is accomplished by going against the force of the attack, and driving the attacker back. The results of driving blocks range from "forced settling" to "forced buoyancy". A pin or fall may occur from either of these actions. This driving action usually comes from a block that has been "chambered". This preparatory motion helps you to generate more power, and allows for body momentum to be coordinated with your blocking action, thus creating a stronger block. It should be noted that many of the striking blocks can be used as driving blocks.

Specialized Blocks: These are blocks that have distinct characteristics that make them advanced. This may be a result of the combination of several principles taken from the above categories. I will discuss the sub-categories of this section, as each is distinct.

Checks are the use of pressing, pinning, or hugging actions to restrain, hinder prevent an opponent's action. This is usually done by controlling a limb at its joint, thus minimizing leverage and nullifying the weapon's action.

Jamming blocks are techniques that crowd or force an attacking weapon back and against the attacker's body, preventing action.
Lockout is a type of positioned check that is used to slightly detain or hinder the action of your opponent. It involves striking a target with a natural weapon and having that weapon remain on the target fro a time before retrieving it.

Positioned blocks are accomplished by using various defensive postures to automatically check, or hinder incoming action.

Pinning blocks are restraining “vice-like” moves that hinder an opponent from taking action.

Ricocheting blocks are defensive moves that use the first block to launch a second block. This concept in Special Operations Combat Karate is termed a Ricocheting block strike- because there is generally an offensive technique built into the defensive action (i.e. blocking sets I & II).

Trapping blocks are techniques that catch and then hold attacking limbs, preventing their use or escape.

Grabbing blocks are specialized intercepting /trapping blocks that use grabs to neutralize attacking weapons.

Pulling blocks are specialized trapping blocks that catches and pulls a target’s weapon. Thus forcing your opponent into a stationary position (forced settling), and preventing further attack. (Jerking blocks are also included in this sub-set).

Dual/combination blocks are blocks that employ the Double Factor. This consists of dual moves that incorporate any combination of blocks, parries, or checks. It also refers to moves that are both defensive and offensive.

Evasions
The use of evasions in combat is something that is covered in every system (at least all the systems I have been exposed to). The use of stances, stance changes, footwork and body maneuvers to avoid and or re-direct an attack is the essence of evasion. There are several types of evasions, each dealing with a specific directional movement. Taking into consideration that 360 degrees of motion is possible from a neutral defensive posture (a neutral defensive posture is one in which your weight is evenly dispersed, and your feet are shoulder width apart or less), evasions occur in the following ways: Linear, Circular, and Angular. With all three of these categories of evasions four sub-sets exist, inside, outside, forward, backward. I will attempt to describe each of these categories and sub-sets.

Inside linear evasions allow you to avoid attacks, while sidestepping to the inside of your target. This in turn sets the stage for a strong counter attack. Inside-forward linear evasions allow for you to avoid the attacking action, while staying or moving into the “kill zone” (this is the area of a target, in which most of your opponents vital areas are within reach), and applying immediate forward pressure. Inside-backward linear evasions allow you to avoid attacks, while staying in the "kill zone" and creating separation between the attacker and yourself. This in turn gives you space to recover from an unexpected attack, or to employ ranged techniques (kicks, weapons, etc). The disadvantage to inside linear evasions is that moving inside on an opponent means that he can attack you with weapons from both sides oh his body. Those experienced with infighting, and grappling often are most comfortable with this sort of evasion.

Outside linear evasions are designed to avoid attacks, while moving outside of the attackers "kill zone". This momentarily neutralizes one side of the attacker's body (the arm and leg opposite of the side you evade to), forcing your opponent to either act with limited weapons/defenses, or to turn so that his all his limbs can be used. While moving to the outside of the attacker limits your access to "vital" targets, it increases your access to the "hinged" target areas (i.e. joints), and makes it more difficult for all your opponents weapons to be brought to bear. Outside forward linear evasions are much like Inside forward linear evasions. They are designed to put immediate forward pressure on a target, while moving to the outside of his attack. This in turn creates a disruption in the attacker's rhythm. It can (and should) also cause balance displacement. Outside backward linear evasions are used to create distance, while moving to the outside of the attacker's "kill zone". This allows you to execute ranged techniques from the relative safety of the outside of the attacker's weapons.

Inside Circular evasions are evasions that take you into the kill zone, but not by a direct route as linear and angular evasions. Circular evasions generally are more complex and involve the use blocks and/or parries. These evasions usually take longer to develop and are considered more risky! One of the major differences between linear and circular evasions is the distance from the attacker you end up. Inside forward circular evasions are evasions that are used to close distance with an attacker, while avoiding the attack. As with the aforementioned evasion of this set, parries or blocks usually accompany this movement, either disrupting balance or causing "stunning" damage. Inside backward circular evasions are used to create distance, and usually take you further away from the attack than backward linear movements. Again, parries and blocks make these evasions most effective!

Outside Circular evasions are evasions that move you to the outside of the kill zone. These evasions are often used to maneuver into the ambush position on a target. The proper use of this evasion along with strong blocks and parries can manipulate the attacker's body along with your movement to accomplish this (ambush position). Touch reference uses these evasions along with angular evasions to accomplish these goals. Outside forward circular evasions are evasions that avoid contact and then close with the attacker. In most situations this is not practical as it requires too much time to complete, but if you are dealing with an attacker who is off balance or has a cumbersome weapon, it may be useful. Outside backward circular evasions are used to disengage from an attack, while moving outside of the "kill zone".

Angular evasions are a combination of linear and circular evasions. Grandmaster Kemp always referred to these evasions as "slicing the pie". This is due to the angular motion of the evasions cutting to the inside or outside of the "kill zone". The use of diagonal lines of motion helps the defender find and enter "zones of relative sanctuary" and "zones of relative attack". Many people know of zones of sanctuary and attack, but I use relative because I want to stress that evasion alone rarely make you safe or make your opponent vulnerable.

Inside forward angular evasions "slice the pie" to the front inside of the attack, Often going across the attacker's body. When accompanied by blocking techniques, several results can occur which range from balance disruption to causing damage to the attacker.

Inside backward angular evasions are used to create space and the "slicing of the pie" takes you just out of range of the attacker's weapons, and if done correctly will force him to have to turn slightly to put you back into his "kill zone". Outside forward angular evasion is "Slicing the pie" to the outside of the attacker's "kill zone", while bringing your momentum forward. An example of this is touch reference's "open ambush". In open ambush you start facing your attacker, but as he punches/kicks, you use parries, angular and circular evasion (foot work) to avoid attack, and move around behind the attacker into the ambush position. This process is one of the most effective lessons that is taught in SOCK.

Outside backward angular evasion is creating distance while going to the outside of the attack. This results in creating more distance than side stepping (linear), but allowing you to stay close enough to attack as opposed to looping (circular).

In conclusion: blocks and evasions must be a coordinated effort. If you don’t move when attacked, chances are very good that you will get hit. Conversely, if you just try to dodge an attack without some type of block, you most likely will just be delaying getting hit as well. Those of you who don't mind "trading blows" remember that anyone can be knocked out! Also rule #3 of self-defense: "Always assume that your attacker has a weapon.” Now how do you feel about trading blows with a guy with a knife in his hand? You should make an effort to teach your student that evasion and blocking should go hand in hand. Remember that stances are part of your footwork, and therefore are part of blocks and evasions.

K.Mabon
United States Combat Martial Arts Association International
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: