Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot I wrote that article..

An update.. I got a major case of the brown belt blues so to speak.

The belt itself has no bearing on the idea behind the article. Im sure even belt-less styles have common "times" in which people start to question their training and plateau out for a bit.

kataman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part to overcome the blues I always practice for the next tournement,so by the time the tournement season is over you have 10 more months of practice and if you are still a color belt ,you have probably change or will change belt color soon.

remember tournement is to see where you stand facing you're self not others.

gojuchad
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: goju-ryu karate/tae kwon do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

yes it is hard when you feel that you plateu but that is when you need to train harder. I am a black belt and have been one for many years, I always wanted to be a black belt but once i got it it was not as cool as i thought it would be. I kinda grew out of that way of thinking. Another thing that you have to consider is that black belt is only a start. Even if you were a 10th degree black belt you should spend alot of time on the same old standing basics taht is the fundamentals for everything. "Karate is not Fun." tahts what my teacher told me and i believe it. I enjoy it and love it but it can be hard to devote your life to it. Thats where the displine comes in. Good luck!!

Ottman
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kune Do (Concepts), Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, Samurai combative arts (Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: hi Reply with quote

gojuchad wrote:
I always wanted to be a black belt but once i got it it was not as cool as i thought it would be. I kinda grew out of that way of thinking.

Great quote! I believe that this is part of realizing what martial arts are all about: Continual growth, not just getting a black belt.
But I also think the belt system in most schools is great. While there are some dubious business aspects of the belt system, for young kids, and students who are just trying to better themselves, moving up through ranks and having tests to look forward to and train for is an essential motivator. It also instills a sense of accomplishment in students who need such feelings to keep up with their martial arts. Once I got my black belt, (TKD when I was 15) I thought that was it; that I had reached a pinnacle even though I knew that more degrees of black belt existed. I figured "why should I pay for all those tests and lessons anymore?" How foolish of me. It was about 6 years later that I realized I had only come to a beginning as a martial artist. That's when I realized that 'belts are just to keep your pants up,' after I had already gone through the whole gammet of colored belts. It isn't something you go into martial arts knowing, you learn it as you grow. And now that I know, do I feel like I had waisted my time and money on all those belt tests? Absolutely not. In fact I'm thankful that I put in the hard work and sacrifice, because I would not be who I am, nor know what I know today if I hadn't.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: blue belt blues Reply with quote

Talk about the learning curve flattening out, eeeesh. It's even tougher when you've been studying for 20 years. More because you have this huge list of everything you want to work on (usually far longer than the list of things you feel are where they need to be) and find it difficult to find people to do it with.

Has anyone else had this problem?

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: blue belt blues Reply with quote

pendakarshihan1 wrote:
Talk about the learning curve flattening out, eeeesh. It's even tougher when you've been studying for 20 years. More because you have this huge list of everything you want to work on (usually far longer than the list of things you feel are where they need to be) and find it difficult to find people to do it with.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah, but add 17 years to the 20 for a total of 37....and it feels more so.

Ottman
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kune Do (Concepts), Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, Samurai combative arts (Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been training for ten and it's already starting to feel that way.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47MartialMan wrote:
How about Belt Blues? Does each color have a different blue? I guess. But along with the belt blues, don't forget the "Tourney Blues". Or the "First Class" blues. Nice starting thread, though.

I kind of have to agree with this. I'm a red belt, and I don't think I'm "bored." I do have the red belt blues, though. My situation is kinda weird. Maybe I should start a thread on it ...... Ok, I will. Look in the General section

KF Dude
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hung-Ga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article.

Another way go get around the 'belt blues' is to forget about them entirely. As a martial artist looking to get the most of out thier chosen art, training becomes a way of life. It just something you do everyday like brushing your teeth. Just train hard & enjoy what you are doing. Along way you will test & get another sash, belt, stripe &/ or certificate - whatever. It's a nice token of appreciation from your school, just a small mile stone out of many. Train for self improvement in your martial art not for a piece of cloth.

In general, it takes what 3 to 4 years to become a black belt in most systems. If this is the summit of your martial art goals then you are missing out on another 40+ years worth of training. Forget the belt & just train correctly & hard, everything else will fall into place.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this concept is the same in any sport. Sometimes the answer is to let it go and focus on something else, then come back. Maybe you should take classes in a completely unrelated style to open your mind.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: