Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Blue Belt Blues Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

This is something that has been briefly talked about in my clubs magazine so I thought I would share my take on the matter with you.

I guess most of you have read monkeygirl's article, White Belt: Learning How to Learn. That's what being a white belt is all about: learning. Everything is new, each lesson presents a new challenge. The learning curve for a white belt is very steep. Your reward at the end? A yellow belt (or whichever color your style uses). As a yellow belt you have a basic knowledge of what your doing, things feel familiar, but you have new kata to learn, you may start to get to do a bit of kumite/sparring and get into the advanced basics.

Around green, blue and red belt however, the learning curve starts to flatten out. You feel as though you have reached a plateau with your training – you get the blue belt blues. The focus is more on improving your current skills as opposed to learning new ones. Many feel as though they are not as good as they thought they were and that they are not improving.

The most important thing to realize is that this is not a bad thing, everyone experiences them at some point during their training and they are a natural part of your development. It shows you are about to make a breakthrough in your training and get back on the learning curve as you realize how you can best improve everything you are currently doing, quality not quantity becomes the driving force behind your training. This is why it is sad to see students quit after getting the blues, simply because they are unaware of the breakthrough on the horizon.

When you get the blues you have to change your mindset - quality not quantity, remember - you need to think about your training and how you can push through the rough patch. You don't have to do it alone. There will be people who have gone through it before and your instructor has probably done it a few times, so whilst you aren't alone, it is still a personal challenge that is different for everyone.

In many ways the blue belt is the midway point to black belt and I don't just mean in grade order. This is the problem. You feel as though you've done all that hard work and you're still only half way there. Surely you can never be as quick, sharp and technically good as those black belts further up the line. Rubbish. Of course you can - they were in your shoes once.

All it takes to snap yourself out the blues is a simple decision. You need to tell yourself you want the gold at the end of the rainbow. Making a decision like that will make you not only a better karate-ka (martial artist) but also a better person in general. The catalyst of the change is frustration and need. Nothing happens without a need. America wouldn't have been colonized if we didn't need the space. Making a decision like this will give you the kind of self-mastery you need to attain the higher grades and succeed in life in general. Some won't be able to come out of the other side but as harsh as it is you can't concern yourselves with them too much. One of my instructors has a saying, which relates quite well to this.

"Some will. Some won't. So what."

Some people will get their black belt, some won't, so what. Focus on yourself and your own goals, you can help if you wish but at the end of the day it's down to the individual.

What’s the cure?

One word: diagnoses. When you know what the problem is, you can set about rectifying it. It means change and change is scary.

Like I said earlier, talk to people who have gone through it themselves, never be afraid to ask a question about anything if you are unsure. Some get an extra class in every week or perhaps do a double class instead of a single, others train more at home - all of this will help.

You need to be enthusiastic about perfecting your karate. View the blues positively if you can.

Quote:
"We are always discouraged. It is "good" for a martial artist to be discouraged. It means their goals and expectations are still very high."

- Kensho Furuya

So that's it for my first article. I foresee the next in the series to be:

Brown Belt Blues, followed by Black Belt Blues.

I had my blue belt for over a year...

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

busling
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ~2.5yrs Hung Suen Wing Chun. Little bit of Machado BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion for over coming the blues in your training is to make two lists.

The first list should cover everything that you are having trouble with, dont know or could do better. If you think hard about it this could be quiet a long list.

Now the second list should be a list of things that you were once bad at, or didnt know. I imagine that this list will be equally as long if not longer then the first list.

The first list shows you were are going and the second list shows you were you have come from and what you have achieved.

Now pick a few things that you need to work on from the first list and practice them until they move onto your completed list. This process will help you to see your progress.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the point once or twice (two schools), but I looked into my forms deeper. I found there was a lot to learn and "tweek" technique-wise. Even in sparring, there was some stuff to improve for me. Even now, my instructor found something I can work on. I have a "lazy" side kick. I don't straighten my leg all the way out, but I do it without realizing it.

There is always something to work on. I like this part: "diagnoses. When you know what the problem is, you can set about rectifying it. It means change and change is scary."

Good article, though

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article!

Sheffield Steelers!

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article! Our Hanshi tells us that there will be peaks and valley's in our training. A lot like a roller coaster ride. Lot's of up's and downs. He says those who really love the art will hang in there and take advantage of the slow times in training to better themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

gcav
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Several different Japanese and Korean styles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done.

GhostlySykanRyu
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article...

To me belts seem to represent more time in an art than anything(not to offend anyone, it's just my humble opinion, black belts are obviously dedicated...I'm just saying there are whites that could beat one in singular combat). I've sparred with yellow belts through black belts thus far(only up to 2nd dan), and have faired well. To be honest, I'd rather wear a plain leather belt, they seem to keep the pants up more effectively...

Rick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Kickboxing, Wushu, Kyokushin, Goju Kai, Zen Do Kai, Zen Go Shu, BJJ, HapKiDo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"sigh" yet another Bruce Lee quote.

Nice article dude, i'll think of it next time i hit a plateu.

Rick

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK

GhostlySykanRyu
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, no...there is no quote in that post, unless there are some I've never heard of. I'd just like to learn more about the actual belt systems...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: