Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Bo kata Reply with quote

Is anyone here familiar with this Kata by Kise;

Listed on youtube as ' Bo Nidan y Shodan Máster F.Kise '

Or just the first half as ' Makabi ( sic ? ) no bo ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdAO1Kk1IY

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed this but yes, I'm familiar. It's a Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu Kata. The second half of the video is Matsumura Bo Shodan, first half is Matsumura Bo Nidan. Matsumura Bo Shodan is learned around 6th kyu and Nidan is learned after you become a Shodan. They're very straight forward kata, with Shodan being mostly the same 6 techniques in 4 directions. They're meant to get you comfortable with handling a bo.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
I don't know how I missed this but yes, I'm familiar. It's a Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu Kata. The second half of the video is Matsumura Bo Shodan, first half is Matsumura Bo Nidan. Matsumura Bo Shodan is learned around 6th kyu and Nidan is learned after you become a Shodan. They're very straight forward kata, with Shodan being mostly the same 6 techniques in 4 directions. They're meant to get you comfortable with handling a bo.

Ah ... thanks . That explains a bit . The first part came from Ted Lange ( a student of t Hohan Soken that bought the art to Australia ) , we used to practice it but where told 'There is more to this kata ." But Ted had passed on and we Didnt know who knew it all .

Then one of the guys found this video on the internet .

We always knew it as ' makabe no bo ' ... for some reason .

We have a 'Matsamura no bo ' kata , but it isnt anything like this one . It is supposed to be a preliminary / intro kata to Chikin / Tsuken ( ? ) no kon .

The bunkai fro those 'twirling ' parts is interesting ... and a little difficult to apply .

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Kise split the kata in to two different ones and called them the Matsumura bo series, which would explain why you have a different Matsumura Bo Shodan than us Americans. I find that MSSR in the Kise line (which turned in to Kenshin Kan) is a little different sometimes. Similar, to be sure, but it's clear that Kise made some changes overall to MSSR and felt that it was enough to base a new system off of.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further on the other name I am familiar with for this kata ; ' Makabe no bo ' :

" MASTER HANSHI – SEI FUSEI KISE was born on May 4, 1935. He began his study of Karate in 1947 from his Uncle Master Makabe. ....

On January 3, 1972 Master Kise qualified for the Hanshi title by passing the 8th Dan examination held by Grand Master Hohan Soken and Master Makabe... "

http://www.ballaratkarateclub.com.au/grand-master-fusei-kise/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: