Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: BOB/BOB XL vs Wavemaster XXL Durability Reply with quote

I can't hang a bag in my basement due to height issues. Stands are too tall, and if I use a beam, every bag will have the straps at eye level. I really, really want an Outslayer Muay Thai bag, and as hard as I've tried to make it be, it just isn't meant to be. I've gotten dimensions of various bags (even standard bags) and taped up blankets to their size as a mock-up. No dice.

I'm looking at the BOB, BOB XL, and Wavemaster XXL. I used to own a BOB. I hit a WM XXL at my local YMCA for a few months. I haven't seen a BOB XL. It's not a matter of which I like more, it's a matter of long term ownership. I like hitting the WM XXL the most, but I wouldn't mind either BOB. There's trade offs. In a perfect world, I'd have an Outslayer MT bag and a BOB.

Which of the 3 do you think is the most reliable/longest lasting?

I looked at a BOB at a local store today. It seems bigger than the one I owned, but it also seems far softer. I owned the original that had the fully closed back.

Does the inner foam last a long time, or does it break down quickly? The squishiness doesn't feel reassuring. And it's a new BOB (I'm assuming), as the store opened about a month ago.

There were reports of the heads coming off and/or the chins splitting. Or was that the old ones?

I have some reservations about the WM XXL. I don't know how old the one I hit was and how it was treated, so maybe it was pretty old and/or abused. I could see clear indentations at common striking spots. The bag itself seemed to come unscrewed from the base during use (I always gave it a quarter turn or so every round). Hitting it with some force, there were some days I'd hear it rattle inside, and not in a good way. Perhaps there was a magic elf on staff who'd fix something inside it at night.

So I ask those of you who've had these in your school - how long on average do they last, under what conditions? Any serious issues with any of them?

Another stupid question - if I go the BOB route, I can put a Wavemaster Powerline top on it. Any idea if Century or anyone else sells them separately, and if so how much?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I don't think that Sensei8 would appreciate being hit. All this talking of hitting BOB might but him on edge.

Seriously, however, I tend to lean more towards BOBs for training. I find that both suffer from easily from (my) user error of not ever anchoring it properly, but in the case of BOBs I like the "realness" that comes with it. Being able to feel, in one way or another, a humanoid response in your own body to a kick is something that I enjoy.

As far as I know, and my knowledge is admittedly limited here, the problems with splitting have been fixed. That being said, the WM is more durable.

I would, however, definitely just save up and by the Outslayer and BOB if that's what you want.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Zaine. And thanks for pointing out my insensitivity toward Sensei8

Its not really a matter of if the BOB or WM is better to hit, as I've hit both enough. They're just different tools to ultimately get the same job done.

Getting the Outslayer bag isn't a matter of cost. The bag and stand I want are about the same price as the BOB XL. The Outslayer bag would be cheaper if I could hang it from a support beam. It's a matter of it just won't fit no matter how hard I try. The ceiling is about 4 inches lower than any stand I've seen, and if I hang it from a beam, I'll be looking directly at where the straps meet the bag.

Outslayer makes a bag that goes around a post. None of my support posts would handle my viscous attacks;)

I'm leaning towards BOB. I don't know how much I trust the WM XXL's screw-in base setup long term.

For any of you that have seen BOB and BOB XL side by side, is the extra length worth the extra $100? I wish a local store had them both, as that would make my life easier.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a BOB/BOB XXL fan!! Why? I don't look anything like that at all!! I'm much more handsome!!

I'm more of Wavemaster fan, especially since the base has been trimmed down and away from my kicking support foot. Whereas before, the base of the Wavemaster was in my way, and that's not conducive in training as well as in safety.

However, the Wavemaster, no matter the size/type, including the BOB's, they don't stand up to any kick that I might deliver...I don't enjoy the constant pause I'm having to take whenever working one.

The BOB, well, I've tried it, I didn't like it, but I give it a chance. First thing I didn't like was that the likeness to its physical appearance doesn't give the student, imho, the same feeling nor the same targets as a live sparring partner might offer. NO ARMS...NO LEGS...totally missed the mark, imho, it might as well have just stayed as a Wavemaster!!

That's me!! Our Hombu is filled with all types of WaveMasters and BOB's and what have you; there's nothing short of something to hit!! They serve a purpose, but whenever I'm teaching there, I bring out the hanging bags for us to work our techniques out on them...in short, we beat the tar out of them!!

But the Hombu has plenty of ceiling clearance to provide that. With you not having that ceiling clearance, I'd like to steer you away from BOB's, even though I'm a nice guy, because their aesthetics are much of a deterrent, than they are helpful.

My vote...any type of WaveMaster, and not any type of BOB's!!

PS...Don't do what I did when I first purchased my WaveMaster...filled it up with concrete; base cracked terribly once the concrete hardened...waste of money on my part!!

Sand...water...anything other than concrete!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never doubted your rugged good looks for a second, Sensei8:)

I'm not interested in the regular wavemasters, just the wavemaster xxl. I really like hitting the one I hit at the local Y. I just question its durability. I liked the lower profile base and the size of the bag itself. What I don't like is how there were clear indentations forming at where I hit most often. And how it would rattle when I went hard. I also felt the inner plastic tube a few times when I really teed off on it.

My main complaint when I had the BOB was the base stuck out too far, thereby making me reach a bit. The current dummy seems bigger; hitting the one in the store the other day, the base didn't get in the way like I remembered. But it's a lot softer than the one I had. The one I had was quite firm. Not as firm as a heavy bag, but firmer than any wavemaster ive ever hit, and I've hit them all (except the kids' ones).

What I also like about BOB is that uppercuts and hooks to the jaw and body are far more realistic than any bag I've ever hit, including heavy bags.

It's all trade offs. Too bad Outslayer doesn't make their Muay Thai bag in a freestanding version.

The thread isn't really about which one is better to hit, it's about which is the most durable. I think the BOB is probably going to last longer than the wavemaster XXL.

And thanks for the concrete tip! I was honestly contemplating it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, whenever I was mentioning the WaveMaster, I was including the XXL across the board. Everything about it says...hit me as hard as you can...I can take it!! I actually prefer the XXL over the standard WaveMaster because of the new base as well as the area provided on the bag itself.

The BOB's contour were more in the way of my flow, and my students complained about the edges, and they, the edges, are there. Students shouldn't have to hit something that hurts them, and the WaveMaster isn't designed as an effective Hojo Undo, or at least I don't consider it to be so.

With the XXL only standing 69" tall and only 18" around, I believe it'll meet your expectations!!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outslayer does make a bag weight that does attach to the bottom of a double ended bag. However, it won't solve your problem. I just hung my Outslayer. Fortunately my basement it tall enough. I was considering using some 4x4's or 6x6's lag bolted between the floor joists to gain a few extra inches. It might work for you.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Outslayer does make a bag weight that does attach to the bottom of a double ended bag. However, it won't solve your problem. I just hung my Outslayer. Fortunately my basement it tall enough. I was considering using some 4x4's or 6x6's lag bolted between the floor joists to gain a few extra inches. It might work for you.

Duct work, pipes and electrical all prevent that stuff in the areas where I'd have enough room to move around the bag. A bag stand would work had it not been for the aforementioned stuff too.

The basement just wasn't designed to hang a bag. If I could knock down a supporting brick wall near the back, it would be perfect:)

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used a BOB but have had a Wavemaster XXL at our dojang, got broke when one of the men roundhoused it hard enough to snap the inner core.

Though I haven't used one I'd lean more to the BOB because to me it seems more realistic and allows use to work a greater variety of techniques. If you're concerned about durability, I do know people who put the TKD chest protectors on BOB. Might help protect him a bit.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:

Duct work, pipes and electrical all prevent that stuff in the areas where I'd have enough room to move around the bag. A bag stand would work had it not been for the aforementioned stuff too.

The basement just wasn't designed to hang a bag. If I could knock down a supporting brick wall near the back, it would be perfect:)

Knock out that supporting wall. Who needs a standing house when there are bags to hang?

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: