Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Effective or not?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 18 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Just me
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Body kicks: Effective or not? Reply with quote

Many people say that in the streetfight, you should only kick below the belt but i have seen bodykicks taught in many realistic self-defence arts like JKD, Krav Maga. I think they are effective because if you kick the opponent to the stomach for example, it leaves the opponent winded (most cases) and you can make your escape or to follow up with another technique. And for another example, sharp roundkick with toe of the shoe to the kidneys will drop most opponents. But, there is risks. One risk with bodykicks is that if you dont recoil the leg quickly enough, i can be grabbed. Please, tell me your opinions.

EDIT: Now i mean kicks with the lower leg, not a knee.

Last edited by Just me on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

glockmeister
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Haganah, Krav Maga, JKD, Kickboxing,BJJ, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Krav Maga, We were mostly taught to kick below the belt, ( legs, knees, groin, ankles.) we didn't do much body kicks except front push kick or defensive side kick to create space when needed. Generally did more knee strikes to the body when up close and personal.
Yes there is a danger of getting your leg grabbed when you kick to the body which is why you should start off with an aggressive punch combination as a distraction and then follow up with a fast body kick if you want to use them.

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any technique is good in the right circumstances. I probably wouldn't go any higher than stomach level, but a good front kick can easily double somebody over.

TraditionalDan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do, RBSD.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kick being effective depends on how the kick is executed.
But yes, lower kicks are definately better off overall.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it depends what your intention is. If you want to hurt them so they can't come after you, kick below the belt. There are fewer targets below the belt that will not need you to break bones (groin area, knees possibly). You never know how much muscle or fat is protecting the bones or whether you can actually break.

With the body you have a lot more of the "softer" target areas, there's the kidneys, solar plexus, stomach etc. However I wouldn't want to lift the kicks too high because there's the loss of power and higher chance of getting grabbed.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
Any technique is good in the right circumstances. I probably wouldn't go any higher than stomach level, but a good front kick can easily double somebody over.

Agreed. If you want to use a kick in this way, you have to make sure you have the space, or make the space via combination. The reason why low-level kicks work so well is because you can do them within clinching range. To kick someone in the stomach is going to have to require space, which may be hard to come by in a confrontation.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
lordtariel wrote:

Agreed. If you want to use a kick in this way, you have to make sure you have the space, or make the space via combination. The reason why low-level kicks work so well is because you can do them within clinching range. To kick someone in the stomach is going to have to require space, which may be hard to come by in a confrontation.

I agree with the guys quoted above. Also ill add that whilst in the right context any technique can be effective, it may still not be your best option.

For example, you are engaged in a situation where you need to protect yourself and for whatever reason, there is a break in the distance and you find yourself in kicking range you can:

1. Throw a kick to the body, and IF it lands, then you have hit them with 1 kick, but where do you go from there? Im not sure about others, but personally i find it alot harder to move in straight off a higher kick than i do off a low line one.

2. Throw a low line kick and follow in with a distance closer and continue to strike with other things.

Both have there advantages and disadvantages, at times though something will be a smarter and more high percentage option.

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes, but, I believe they are only really a good option once the guy is on the ground. Previous to that only kick below the waist.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Just me
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: TKD, Boxing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick with heel or toe of the shoe to the solar plexus, the soft gap between the lowest rib just above the upper abs is devastating if it hits hard (but you could also throw a punch there) . Once i were sparring with my friend and i threw a side kick with heel to that target and he went down and couldt get up for a couple of minutes

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted that not everyone is a trained fighter, but I've seen guys take some really devastating kicks to the body. The problem is that these kicks only tend to cause pain (save the solar plexus which will sap the wind). Pain can be ignored and, against an opponent who's on drugs, may not even be felt.

Lots of people mention the kidney shots. Again, this is pain compliance. The person on the receiving end of the shot may be urinating blood tomorrow, but you're fighting them today! That means you need to beat them today.

The low line kicks tend to cause biomechanical responses that prevent the opponent from standing to fight back.

In the end, body shots are great as moves to open up more effective targets. In the ring, they will surely wear down the opponent, but on "the street" we don't have that kind of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: