Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JiuJitsuNation wrote:
Kuma wrote:
I apologize if it seems like I'm picking a fight, just trying to present an alternative view.

Hey, some of us like country!

No sir! You made more than valid points. I have some very different views than some. Just expressing myself.

I think both of you make good points. The system can be very frustrating, and I do think that it is important that when civilians do take matters of protection into their own hands, that it is important to back them on it. To be honest, I think the reason bullying is getting so much more of a problem is because of society's perception that it should be ignored, and tell those in charge (teachers, etc) what is going on after the fact, at which point no real punishment is passed off, and then the bullying becomes worse. Whereas, if victims were encouraged to and allowed to deal with bullying on their own, I think it would cut back a lot more on the terrible incidents that we see as results of bullying.

I've been bullyied in the past, so that is just my take on it. I will in no way allow my kids to be bullyied. I tell them to deal with it, right then and there, and I will deal with the teachers later. Being in trouble at school will not necessarily equal being in trouble at home.

Now, I can see the point Kuma is making, too. In a technical sense, this guy essentially chased the other guy down and became an attacker. You should defend your home and properties, but once its off the property, you lose some of that legal cover from trouble.

Its also easy to look back and say, "what if he had this or that." Like Kuma said, this guy got lucky. He may not, next time. But, there is also the comfort that comes from having this kind of courage, too.

tallgeese wrote:
That's the beauty of this forum, intelligent discussion. Really, that's pretty hard to find on-line.

I see where JJN is coming from. I'd like to agree; and I guess in principle, I like the idea of patting this guy on the back.

However, on the practical side, I lean towards Kuma's viewpoint. I rarely chase people at work for almost all the reasons that Kuma lists above. Even with weapons and training and such, it's too easy to get ambushed or hurt otherwise. Fleeing suspects are what dogs and perimeters are for in a best case world.

That's not saying I've never chased, but the situation has to be just so for me to justify the risk. Personally, this situation wouldn't rise to the occassion. The cost benifit doesn't weight out FOR ME. Now, move him to an aggressive posture, or it's my house instead of my car, we have a different situation.

Great points.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys lucky he didn't end up on the wrong end of a gun. Reminds me of what happened to f-14 wong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: