Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Bold or Rash? What do you think of this decision? Reply with quote

I think of home defense as self-defense, and this one has to do with a man's car on his property.

The article is titled "Would-Be Burglar Messes With Wrong Man," and was posted on October 1. I just caught it now.

I don't want to say too much about it. I'm posting it to ask your thoughts on whether the home-/carowner did the right thing and the situation just got worse, or the owner made the wrong decision no matter what the burglar did (or tried to do).

I've asked myself if I would call 911 while the burglar's out there, then go outside with a weapon to--to what? I don't know. Or would I go out with a weapon in one hand and my cell phone in the other, calling 911 while shouting at the burglar--but so enraged that I'd chase after him?

It's interesting to read what the burglar did to the owner, and yet the owner was concerned about how badly he'd hurt the burglar.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Would-Be-Burglar-Messes-With-Wrong-Man/yZMkHVK0k0aP8I1Us1SK3g.cspx

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was rash. He chased down someone, got them to the ground, and then got sliced open with a knife. After he chased the person away, he'd won. His property was safe. He only chased the person down out of spite. He didn't know what the person was carrying. He could have had a gun. He's lucky he's not dead. It was more stupidity than bravery.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isshinryu5toforever wrote:
I think it was rash. He chased down someone, got them to the ground, and then got sliced open with a knife. After he chased the person away, he'd won. His property was safe. He only chased the person down out of spite. He didn't know what the person was carrying. He could have had a gun. He's lucky he's not dead. It was more stupidity than bravery.

I agree completely. The smart thing would have been after frightening off the thief (as technically that's what he really was; a burglar enters a building) would be to immediately call 911 and provide them with a description and which way they ran. Instead he gets sliced up over a few measly items in his car. From the look of the one on his shoulder, he's darn lucky his assailant didn't clip an artery. Stupid move, lucky for him he survived.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say good for him. He doesn't seem concerned with being stabbed. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. In the moment he responded and maybe, just maybe the thief will think twice next time. It's funny because a very good friend of mine recently posted this on his facebook. "Praise the virtues of fearlessness. A truly fearless person embraces even death without any kind of hesitation."

Sokusen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Uechi-ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is an idiot and if he is lucky he will only have scars to show his friends and not a criminal record. The DA could easily charge this guy with assult and battery. The victem was never in danger until he chased after the theif. So it's his word against the theifs and he is admitting chasing the man down and beating him sensless. Like I said idiot.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sokusen wrote:

This guy is an idiot and if he is lucky he will only have scars to show his friends and not a criminal record. The DA could easily charge this guy with assult and battery. The victem was never in danger until he chased after the theif. So it's his word against the theifs and he is admitting chasing the man down and beating him sensless. Like I said idiot.

Considering what Sokusen wrote, imagine this:

I wasn't robbing his car! A guy in a blue jacket was doing it, and the alarm went off when I was walking up the street. The guy took off! When the owner came out, he wouldn't listen! He was screaming at me like a nut! I tried to get out of there, but he chased after me! If I were a crook, I'd have taken out my knife as soon as he came out! But I didn't! I tried to get away from him, but he came after me like he was crazy! I was forced to defend myself! I'm lucky I'm alive! Now I've got medical bills!

I don't like playing "devil's advocate," but there's a reason for a car alarm, a reason why there's a 911 number, and even a reason why a thief (good point, Kuma) would run off w/o brandishing a knife. So long as the owner was in no danger (simply because the thief ran off, or if he had a weapon in case the thief came at him), I believe it was rash to give chase.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JiuJitsuNation wrote:
I say good for him. He doesn't seem concerned with being stabbed. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. In the moment he responded and maybe, just maybe the thief will think twice next time. It's funny because a very good friend of mine recently posted this on his facebook. "Praise the virtues of fearlessness. A truly fearless person embraces even death without any kind of hesitation."

It's great to be fearless, but I believe there has to be some intelligence involved. If he was confronted by the robber, sure he should stand his ground. Aside from the fact that people can carry around guns, the problem I have is that he went looking for trouble.

"Conscience is the root of all true courage; if a man would be brave let him obey his conscience."
- James Freeman Clarke

I don't think I would have a clear conscience if I ran down someone to beat them down for a failed robbery. What he did, he did more out of pure rage than out of any just intention. What if he had killed the robber? Would he be able to live with that?

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand everyones view point. But mine is this: 1. The car alarm is to A. alert me and or B. act as a deterrent. 2.The system is set up to protect the weak, which doesn't apply to me and obviously didn't apply to him. 3. Just because there are laws and rules, doesn't mean they are right or make any sense at all. A man has the right to stand up for what he believes in even if you disagree. Taking pride and responsibility for your own existence, as we have mentioned in other posts, makes life simpler. The car owner took responsibility and from the sound of it, so the the robber. If this was a failed child molestation maybe the views would be different. If he is gonna go around breaking and taking he should understand there will be consequences. And there are many out there who do not need, nor believe in looking for someone else to protect them or seek justice for them.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No material possessions in my car are worth dying over. This guy's just lucky that he didn't. Even though I'm an LEO myself, I would still do exactly what I said before because it's the safest choice. Worst comes to worst, they just don't catch the guy. I doubt he's coming back, and he'll be caught again eventually.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
No material possessions in my car are worth dying over. This guy's just lucky that he didn't. Even though I'm an LEO myself, I would still do exactly what I said before because it's the safest choice. Worst comes to worst, they just don't catch the guy. I doubt he's coming back, and he'll be caught again eventually.

I agree. I'm not disputing any of this. Nor do I disagree with anything anyone here has said. I just view things differently is all. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have just let the guy go. But I'm also not going to call someone an idiot because they obviously see things differently than I. There is a high percentage of injury and death in many recreational activities but I wouldn't call them stupid for doing it just because i wouldn't. That guy showed very little concern for his wounds. Obviously didn't think it was too big a deal. Lots of people are like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: